What Does Your Selection of Pipes Say About You?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What does your selection of pipes say about you? I think the gradual selection of pipes over years

tends to draw a kind of self-portrait of the owner. Looking over mine, I would say it belongs to a

person who is thrifty with occasional splurges. The selection of designs suggests a person strongly

attached to traditions but with some expectation of an occasional glimmer of color and style. I see

a strong impulse toward self-restraint and modesty related to showing off. If anyone is going to

admire a pipe I'm smoking, they'll have to look closely and know what they are looking at. I'm not

out to excite envy, covetousness, nor blind admiration. I am who I am, take it or leave it, even when

I'm smoking my most expensive pipe(s). Or that's how I read my rack. What's your reading on yours?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Damn! Rsuninv stole my line!!!!
But schizophrenia is certainly an aspect of my motley collection. On the one hand I have traditional British factory pipes by Barling, Charatan, Sasieni, Comoy, and Dunhill. I have a group of Kaywoodies. Then the wheels go off the bus and I have artisanal pipes by carvers who have their own personality and style, sometimes a little looney - Talbert, Tatum, Von Erck, Fillewarth, Larryson, Curtz, etc. Unlike a lot of popular artisans, their stuff has a definite personality and doesn't look like warmed over Danish.
But my collection also says that I'm a knowledgeable and tasteful schizophrenic. One doesn't find better than Barling amongst the classic British factory makers. And I own a number of Barling pots because that's where the gold is. One doesn't find better than Kaywoodie amongst the American factory makers, and and for my personal smoking pleasure, there isn't a better artisan pipe maker on the face of the earth than Lee Von Erck. His briar is sweet.
But my collection also shows, despite being one of taste and discernment, that I am a slob. Not that my pipes aren't kept in pristine condition, they are absolutely pristine, but because there is a circle of one-offs, experiments not followed, whims, moments of insanity, which permeate the collection and which I cannot yet bring myself to discard. I am weak, sad, clinging to a smattering of effluvia.
I am a weak, sad, schizophrenic of exceptional taste and discernment.
Geez, thanks loads for starting this thread.
Don't hit send post.
Don't hit send post.
Don't...

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
It emphatically says that living on a pension is not conducive to acquiring a lot of pipes, much less expensive ones.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
My collection says that I was an impecunious undergrad when I started smoking, and an only slightly better off grad student after that. I looked at the better grade pipes from afar, but knew that it would be a long time before I could afford them. As a naval officer I had a bit of spending money and could afford some of those pipes that I had only dreamed bout, including a Prben Holm in 1969-70,'a Dunhill in 1971, a Charatan in 1972, and a Caminetto Business in 1974. Throughout my working career in civilian life, I picked up a few more Charatans, and a bunch of Connoisseurs, two of which are as yet unsmoked. I only became aware of artists in the pipes, save for the Prebin home, in the last few years, and have since acquired a few of them. If I had it to do all over again, once I started my working career, I would have saved my money and bought only high-end pipes, with a few less expensive ones/cobs for testing new blends. And yet I bought a Stanwell Brushed Black a couple of weeks ago, and I'm enjoying it immensely. Go figure. I think my mindset is such that it is difficult for me for me to pull the trigger on a really expensive Pipe, yet I know I should have fewer of these, rather than more of the less expensive ones. Same total dollar amount, but from my experience, significantly greater pleasure.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My collection definitely confirms that I'm a n00b... a bunch of cobs and some inexpensive briars with no rhyme nor reason to the shape selection. :D

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Conservative - though branching out a bit. Mostly bent Rhodesians, with a couple of straights. Interested in the art deco 1920-1930's era.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Mine reflect that I'm thrifty and don't mind restoring things to make them mine for a period of time.
One day I'll have something nice, new, and Italian. Now it's repair bands, restores, and more effort into my tobacco then my pipes.
I do have one of my grandfather's pipes, a few of my dad's, and they mean the world to me.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Mine is all over the place. Lots of shapes. Various pieces from economical cobs to nice Castellos and a everything in between.
I would say that overall my collection just says "this guy likes pipes"
:)

natibo

Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Mine says I'm lazy. I like acrylic stems because i don't want to clean vulcanite, and I like big bowls so I don't have to pack that often. Oh, and straight pipes so I don't have to spend time twisting a pipe cleaner all the way through.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Well, since I collect American made tan blasts in classic shapes - I guess my collection says that I am a white male, average looking with a lot of wrinkles. :cry:
Pipestud

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
"Brown, brown, brown, brown ... Jesus, this guy buys nothing but the same shade of briar. Oh look, a Falcon! Brown bowl as well..."

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Billiards, Lovats, Canadians. A barrage of makers high end to a couple cobs. OCD, thrifty and classic. Navy blazers with bow ties penny loafers and tortoise shell glasses! The occasional Ascot! :puffy:

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
What do my pipes say about me? They say I have impeccable taste and a highly refined sense of style. And that I'm rich. Rich beyond the dreams of avarice. And very, very sexy. Modest too - more modest than anyone else.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
My selection of pipes (As of today, 9 total: 2 cobs, 3 antique store briars, 3 craigslist briars, 1 antique auction meer) reveals me to be new to the hobby/obsession, someone with VERY limited expendable income and someone who hasn't nailed down a favorite tobacco yet. That being said, if everything goes my way, I may be doubling my collection next weekend by way of the local antique store's auction night. If this happens I'll have a celebratory thread to start!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Mine are mostly billiards - which clearly say I am a debonair man-about-town (or boring, one or the other!)

Status
Not open for further replies.