What Does "Spend More for a Bargain" Mean?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Could not agree more. Every time I buy a pipe herself buys two pairs of shoes. My Eltangs, S Bangs, and Barling's pale in comparison.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Great article and very true. I buy inexpensive jeans because at work they get worn, torn, tattered, and generally destroyed but on my feet is the same quality Canada West work boots I bought 6 yrs ago that I have taken care of. My dress boots are Redwing heritage Brogue boots that I wore for my wedding and every formal event since and I know with care I will never need to buy dress shoes again. You can buy quality once for life or buy cheaply made repeatedly every few years and if you do the math I bet that buying quality will come out cheaper in the long run.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Everyone has a a point when the "ouch" factor plays into purchases. I have mine. $650 for shoes....that's almost a mortgage payment!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you have to work hard at finding value, but this doesn't just mean buying top brands at some discount.

Some products intended for the budget conscious shopper are excellent, but they are usually offered in there,

at the same price level, with distinctly lesser items. A knowledgeable seamstress pointed out to me that Lee

jeans, which are definitely economy priced, have all double stitched seams, something you can find dependably

only in custom-made jeans selling for two or three hundred. Likewise, with pipes, if you know the product, you

can find sturdy, well-crafted "factory" briar pipes in the thirty-forty-fifty dollar range, if you know what you are

looking at. Then when you want to break for something in the high-level price range, you can look for a discount

on a worthy version of that. But the "bargain" is in the careful analysis of what you are buying, not just going for

a higher (or lower) priced item or name brand.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
One of my favorite quotes is "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." While the meaning is a bit askew compared to the article, I felt that in a small way it is relative.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
As an optician, I can say that this concept is definitely true in optical. The cheapest glasses have the highest markup, so really you are getting less for your money. The best 'values' are usually the mid-range priced frames and lenses.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Regarding shoes - I have four pairs of Bostonian shoes from the Impressions line (which is no longer made) that I bought in 1993, which cost about $150 at the time. They have been re-soled and re-heeled twice since then, and still look like they are brand new, and they are as comfortable as wearing sneakers.
I invested in those at the time because I was in my early career, climbing the corporate ladder, putting in 12-hours a day wearing suit, tie, and dress shoes.
Unfortunately, I can no longer recommend Bostonians for all day wear, or as an investment. I can't even find any new Bostonians that cost $150 today. I bought a couple of new pairs recently for around $90 because I like the way they look, and I will wear them if I am going out for the evening for a few hours.
They look great, but they are not that comfortable, and I doubt they will last 22-years like my others.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
What do you consider mid-range prices for prescription eyeglasses? I have several pair that fall between the $250 - $325 range.
Good question- much like your nice dress shoes, prices for GOOD glasses has increased. Unlike your shoes, you at least get better/newer technology as well. I made a basic price guide for glasses below, obviously these are retail prices and would end up costing significantly less with a vision plan. If you have questions about specific lens recommendations I am happy to help.
Single vision lenses:

Basic- cheap frame and cheap stock lenses: 25.00-100.00

Mid-range- name brand frame like Flexon or Ray Ban, Poly or Trivex lenses with premium AR: 250.00-350.00

High end- handmade designer frame like John Varvatos or Persol, digital SV lenses, high index, premium AR and Transitions: 550.00-750.00
Progressive (no-line multifocal):

Basic- cheap frame and old progressive design: 100.00-250.00

Mid-Range- name brand frame like Flexon or Ray Ban, Poly or Trivex lenses, good digital progressive with premium AR: 450.00-650.00

High end- handmade designer frame like John Varvatos or Persol, free form progressive design, high index, premium AR and Transitions: 800.00-1000.00

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
PS if you are going to put extra money into glasses, you should definitely put it into your lenses. I had a patient come in just yesterday with a Costco pair- they were cheap, but not working that well because they had a basic AR and she was getting too much glare.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I like buying the best, but the best is costly, and those without the tantamount income really can't afford the best. What isn't best doesn't last as long or perform as well. Notwithstanding these qualities, if one cannot afford the best, then one buys more affordably and more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.