PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I was going through my pipes and got out my 1955 Dunhill, thinking that this winter I'd like to take some time and clean it up. The pipe is in great shape, clear nomenclature, everything. What I noticed on the side of the bowl was a darkish spot. It doesn't look like it was burned from the outside or anything, and the cake inside looks Ok.
When a pipe burns out, what exactly happens, and what does it look like?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Burnouts usually do present as a dark spot before they come through. But... a dark spot doesn't necessarily mean the pipe is doomed either.
I think the thing to do is clean the pipe up, ream it gently, get to where you can see the inside chamber walls and make a determination about whether there has been significant burning in there or not - this will be pretty easy to see.
But even if it has previous damage, if you smoke slow and careful, there's no reason any more damage has to occur.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Does it look like this?

peterson-450x600.jpg

This is a Peterson Deluxe I got as an estate years ago. I noticed the dark spot after a smoke where I was definitely not puffing hard. It freaked me out, but I've felt around the inside of the bowl and can't feel any thin spots or depressions, and it's had several bowls run through it (very carefully) since then with no ill effect.
At the end of the day, pipes are meant to be smoked. I say smoke it carefully and see what happens. If it burns out, you won't want it, and if you can't smoke it, I assume you also won't want it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One of my pipes had/has a dark spot similar to the above, but higher on the heel, a bit darker and larger. That was years ago: Chamber is fully intact, and it's now just seen as a slight beauty mark on the pipe. (which is hiding somewhere or other at the moment). Unlikely to be a problem.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I bought it locally from a non-pipe person, it was his fathers or something. I was hoping it could 'buff right out', but probably no huh? Guess I will have to leave a layer of cake in there and hope for the best.
Dan your photo doesn't work for me
Edit: wait now it does! Yikes!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Interesting. I too wondered about a burn out on this Poul Hansen pipe I picked up at an antique shop. The chamber looks and feels fine. I have yet to smoke it.
20181019_135644-600x504.jpg

Sep 18, 2015
<p>@Mikethompson, it’s had to tell from a picture but it looks to me like a cigarette burn. If it were mine there’s no way I could Not pick at it a bit and see what’s up. Maybe it’s just me but when I enlarge that pic a little I see a ‘face’ on that pipe! It’s kinda freaking me out a little bit

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Woodsroad: Drill press or Photoshop??
MikeT- Yours is the only one so far that looks like it might be burnout. Hope it isn't. Why not ream n clean the thing and have a good look inside the chamber?

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Maybe it’s just me but when I enlarge that pic a little I see a ‘face’ on that pipe! It’s kinda freaking me out a little bit
Onestrangeone: Don't worry! It's just the Bender robot from the animated TV show "Futurama".

p_20181019_143029-600x450.jpg

bender_sunglasses.png

As for burnout sorry I don't have input. I hope that pipe isn't burning out and will provide you years of utility and enjoyment.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Now this is just my opinion, but if it looks like there was a previous burnout, I wouldn't ream and clean it. Whatever happened, that is working. As soon as you try to see that chamber, you may cause that burnout to continue. YMMV

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The most epic pipe burnout photo I've seen was in a post by Sparrowhawk (if memory serves) probably at least a couple of years ago.
I made a brief attempt to find it, but did not succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.