What Does James Bond (Sean Connery), Santa and Frosty Have in Common?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

unclefester13

Lurker
Aug 9, 2013
Is it just me or what? As a kid I thought there was no one cooler than Sean Connery as James Bond, and maybe my memory fails me, but one of the reasons I thought he was so cool and suave was that he smoked a pipe and got the girl. I have been watching the old Bond movies with him and I have never seen him with a pipe in his jaw or hand. I seem to remember that because of the anti smoking groups that the producers removed the pipe from his image to stop young people from being influenced. Did they edit it out or did he never smoke a pipe? They even took the pipe away from Santa, and I suspect Frosty too! I'm sure Frosty's was valid though, because he could have killed himself had he fallen asleep with that darn pipe in his jaw. lol

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
connery-moustache-shaving-it-for-later-1.jpg

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I don't believe Bond (Connery) ever smoked a pipe. However I do agree that the nannies are editing history to remove all signs of smoking.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I must confess I do not know the answer to the perplexing question posed in the OP, but I do know one thing...DIAMONDS ARE FOR ZARDOZ.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGPR5KakGns

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think James Bond of the novels was a cigarette chain smoker.

Sean Connery portrayed the character smoking a cigarette only occasionally.

Roger Moore depicted Bond as a cigar smoker.
That the pipe has been edited out of depictions of Santa and Frosty should tell

us something about the human lack of honesty. :crying:

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
The good news for Frosty is that the original Rankin-Bass cartoon still features the corncob pipe prominently (as a quick Google Image search will demonstrate). Another company made a sequel that left out the pipe (and scrubbed the lyrics, substituting humming whenever the pipe was mentioned), but it was roundly panned by critics (or so says Wikipedia, which cites a 31% score at Rotten Tomatoes). And the recent kerfuffle over a non-smoking version being published seems to have been very short-lived - I couldn't find a reference to it in the first 5 pages of a basic Google search.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
He smoked cigarettes that were a custom blend of Balkan and Turkish tobacco, made for him by Moreland, which were what Ian Fleming actually smoked.
I don't recall any mention of him ever smoking a pipe in either the books or the movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.