What Do You Use When You Can't Find Your Tamper?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
My kid got a hold of my czec tamper and he had misplaced the darn thing, now I have resorted to using a honey dipper, I must say it makes a pretty good tamper, prehaps I can cut it in half and put a nail in the end to make it into a proper tamping tool.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've never been without my left index finger. I tamp all but a couple of small meers with it. For the small bowls I use my pinkie. The beauty of using one's finger is only one hand is required to hold the bowl and tamp, I never have to put my drink or book aside and hunt for a gadget. Very infrequently do I use a gadget for tamping.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
How do you keep from burning your finger?
I have read about using your finger several times here - are we talking about the initial tamp only?

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
When you tap the top it just feels like ash... Don't leave the finger in there.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
The bottom of my Clipper refillable butane lighter which is circular & fits almost all of my pipes. I rarely need to use it as I keep it & a 3.25" wooden golf tee tamper together in a small nylon lighter sleeve, always with e while smoking
@hextor:

Had to chuckle as in these parts a honey dipper is the septic tank clean-out truck. Not a good mental image for a pipe tamper.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
:) wow every one uses their finger, count me in on that one too, I use my pinky to tamp when I am to lazy to get my tamper.

noquarter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 18, 2015
Golf tee or some nail.By habit, i use my forefinger to stoke and a czech tool to re-arrange the tobacco in the bowl while smoking.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I found that once I started in seriously with pipes and tobaccos, there was a miraculous multiplication of tampers, pipe-tool like objects, and the ever present mother-of-inventions. Such things seems to reproduce around my little slice of heaven and I never find myself alone!(in that sense!)

Status
Not open for further replies.