What Do You Have In Your (Whiskey) Cellar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have distilled down the article for your reading pleasure:
Twenty-one out of 55 bottles of rare Scotch were deemed to be outright fakes or whiskies not distilled in the year declared.

The tests were conducted at the East Kilbride-based Scottish Universities Environmental Research Centre (SUERC).

(Snipped bits out )

Last year, the same company exposed a £7,600 dram of vintage Scotch bought in a Swiss hotel as a fake.

( Snippage)

RW101 said a total of 10 single malts purporting to be from 1900 or earlier were found not to be genuine.
And saved this unrelated gem:

Canadian Tire's catalogue features girls playing with play power tools and boys playing with a play kitchen

The backlash against pink and blue toys.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
No real surprise. The rare wine market has had its share of similar scandal. The mosr famous of which were the Thomas Jefferson bottles "discovered" in Paris.

As always, caveat emptor.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I'm glad I have neither the cash, or ego to invest in such nonsense. Caveat Emptor more than applies.
I live in a trust but verify world.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I live in a trust but verify world.
Good policy. But the verifying part can be kind of tricky...in regard to so many things. It's amazing how many things are generally accepted as true or real that have very little in the way of actual verification backing them up.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
This story reminded me of an argument I once had with my sister who claimed that spirits continue maturing after bottling. My argument was that only whilst in the cask will a spirit continue to mature, once bottled the maturation ceases though of course it will still 'age' as any organic matter would.
Was I correct in saying that? No doubt a whiskey, rum, brandy etc bottled thirty years ago will perhaps be a little more mellow than the same bottled a year ago but I wouldn't say it had matured due to the fact it was removed from its home environment, ie the wooden cask.
In my view, spirits don't mature in bottles. Or am I wrong?
Answers on a postcard will get a shot of my latest Calvados :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm voting for virtually no maturation in the bottle for whiskys and rums, but the more fruit content such as brandy and many liqueurs, stuff happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.