What Do You Do With Tobaccos You Don't Particularly Care For (But Don't Hate)?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreon

Lurker
Jul 11, 2017
Do you store them away for a future try? Smoke them to get rid of them? Throw them into a campfire? Give them away? Pitch them? Offer them to Michipeshiu during backcountry canoeing trips? I'm curious what you fine folks do with the red-headed step child tobaccos you come into possession of.
When I first started branching out, I grabbed some samples of 1Q and RLP-6 based mainly on their popularity, but 4 oz. each was way too much. Lesson learned. I don't dislike them, but I don't particularly savor them either; they seem like pleasant smelling nothingness. Nice room note and they burn great, but little flavor beyond one dimensional sweetness. Almost like smoking Kool Aid.
I'm going to pull them out of my bail style jars used for "on deck" tobaccos and stuff them in the cellar in regular Ball canning jars. Maybe I'll find a use for them one day.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
They get pushed to the back of the rotation for later consumption or I take them to a pipe club meet.
Once you get a more definitive taste for what you enjoy I think it happens less frequently.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Lately, I've been trying my hand at blending. Those tobaccos I find mediocre are utilized to experiment with blenders and other tobaccos I do like.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I never have that issue as I never buy anything different! That being said I have found that Jim Inks offers a very efficient and professional unwanted tobacco disposal service for the cost of the USPS shipping :rofl:

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Life is too short to smoke tobacco you don't like, after a fair trial, IMHO. It sits and may, or may not, get another try. If I had a pipeclub nearby, it would go there I guess.

Mike S.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
If I kill you, Jesse, I get your Barling collection. :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's why I'm always recommending that the first few years of pipe smoking people buy in small quantities, even when they like a blend, as taste develops and changes. Even for old timers, try a new blend in a modest quantity. When all else fails: Age it, mix it, or give it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.