PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsharp

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2010
Dandridge, TN
This may seem like a silly question, but do any of you have a good trick you use to get the smoke off your breath after a smoke. I mainly enjoy smoking at night, before bed. Lately my wife is complaining about my "smoke breath." I rinse and brush, but this does not seem to help. Any tips would be great.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I luxuriate in the finish of a good tobacco, and wouldn't rinse it away for anything.

(I tell Mrs. Cortez to live with it :nana: , or find someone else to support her shoe addiction.)

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
As an addendum to my previous post.....my first wife did NOT accept me as I was with my pipe ( I had smoked the pipe well before we were married ) and I sent her packing over 20 years ago..... :evil:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Jsharp,
A simple brush and rinse should do it.

Did you do something else that raised her ire?

My War Department rarely complains about what's really bugging her.

She always takes an obtuse and usually irrelevant tack.

She knows however that my pipes are "out of bounds".

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Mouthwash also does wonders, but be careful, cause sometimes it really stings if you've smoked a bit hot....

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I revel in the smell of my breath after a good smoke! Unless it was a really heavy latakia, in which case I merely don't mind it. Still, I always carry around a small bottle of Listerine for the sake of others.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Try adding some baking soda to your toothpaste - it won't get rid of the smell, but it will help.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
Try Dr. Tichenor's antiseptic mouthwash. It has a nice flavor and kills a lot of odor. My grandpa chewed tobacco a lot and he would use this to get rid of any lingering bad odors. He kept a small pocket size bottle in his pocket and would just put a drop or two undiluted in his mouth and spit. It's also good for bug bites.

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
A normal brushing w/ or w/o toothpaste and a good rinse w/water usually do the trick for me. I usually rinse first w/a little diluted peroxide b/4 brushing (cheap, mild, and effective antibacterial once you get accustomed to the peculiar taste). If I can't brush, I rinse w/plain water and chew some Trident or Dentyne Ice

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
I find that if I eat an orange before going to bed my wife never notices. Also Biotene mouthwash works well and it sooths the palette as well. What I have trouble with is getting the smell off my person without taking another shower.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I think I must have the best wife. She actually likes the smell of smoke on me. She particularly likes the more fragrant ones, like 1-Q or Savinelli Aroma.
I'm with strongirish on this one, though... It's nigh impossible to get the smell off your person without stripping down and hosing off...
-Jason

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
My wife is also a fan of the post-smoke scent that lingers on me. She prefers the non-Latakia blends that way, but she doesn't complain either way. I make a point of using Biotene after a bowl, so the primary source of the scent is what's caught up in my beard.
Reason number 539 why facial hair rocks.
Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.