PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I picked up this Meerschaum at a junk shop a few months ago for $10. There are no markings I can find on it. I only paid $10 for it, so even if it was a crap pipe it was worth the money as a display piece. I did test the bowl and it appears to be a block meerschaum. I've smoked it several times and it smokes good also.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Looks like you have a really cool, inexpensive meerschaum. You see that kind of pipe all the time and they're totally anonymous in terms of maker. By the way, is the shank a separate piece or is it all one piece?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Looks like Vlad the Impaler sporting a turban. Very cool find, at about a tenth of the price that pipe would fetch from an online retailer. Pic #2 shows that it was never smoked. Pic #3 shows it's not unsmoked anymore.

Keep it clean internally, and do NOT allow any cake to build, and it will serve you many years.

Looks like the knurled piece is the shank extension. It might be several pieces. Don't unscrew those unless you're doing a deep cleaning. The extension either screws in the bowl, or has a push-pull. Same for the stem. Twist clockwise and pull out. Never counter-clockwise. If it doesn't turn clockwisewith ease, then it's a screw in .... and those should be taken apart sparringly.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You have an excellent garden ornament that can also be smoked. I concur with rcstan's comments that unless you have to take it apart leave well alone and try and keep your fingers off it whilst smoking as meerschaum will absorb whatever is on your finger tips when hot. You might want to read Krause's excellent post on waxing a meerschaum as well. Enjoy your bargain pipe!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Yes. It is three pieces. I separated everything the first time to clean it good and put it back together that one time. I have taken the stem off the shank extension once since then to run a long pipe cleaner through it.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Looks like a badass pipe to me! :D
I think Rcstan is exactly right. Definitely looks like Vlad III.

Status
Not open for further replies.