PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
image1-4-600x450.jpg

I found tobacco....

But anyone whos been here long enough will probably have seen the posts that have scrutinized the quality of the Esoterica bags and whether or not to store as is, jar, or use mylar ect. I never doubted that they could or would be compromised, mostly I was reluctant to open a large bag of tobacco.

When I opened the bag the smell was an all too familiar one. It was the same delicious smell that Id get when I would open the rubbermaid that contained this bag. The tobacco it self was very pliant, and moist.

I just figured for those of you(if any) who are on the fence to open a bag, or just recently got one I'd show you what it looks like.

I also re-sealed the bag, held it underwater and found that there were several holes that let air escape. Not surprising considering the smell in the bin.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I have to admit that TAD consumed me last year; following the departure of my beloved McClelland, I acquired roughly 20 8oz bags of my favorite Esoterica blends. I put contents of the aged bags (circa 2015) in canning jars, and in the process did notice a few apparent pin holes. Now I'm wondering if I should "can" the rest, or just not worry. Kept in a dark closet in my office, dry and temperature controlled.
OP: I understand you verified there were actual holes in the bag of Tilbury. I have not opened any bags from this last March 2019 drop. With one exception, the holes in older bags appeared to be spots where the gold coating wore off rather than actual holes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A few times a year you can just gently squeeze those bags of Esoterica. If they're not soft and springy, it's time to open and jar the contents.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah, I just recently discovered this with all my bags of Dunbar and Tilbury. It was a post by Chuck Stanion that made me decide to jar them up and sure enough, I noticed the same thing on all my bags. Moral of the story, jar up you Esoterica’s.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
But those bags are so cool! If I ever found any stonehaven that wasn't insanely priced, I would want to keep them in bags because of the cool aspect. Haha

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I jarred the only bag of Tilbury I have owned, minus 1 small trial bowl, because the bag had obvious small perforations. Now, I cannot get anyone to take it off my hands in a trade. They, if I ever luck across more, will stay in bags and I will have to buy a bigger jar.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I seal up the older or rarer esoterica bags in Mylar just to be sure it’s still good when I get to it ! Cheap insurance...

Status
Not open for further replies.