PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunplume

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
I have a "Made in Italy" pipe, (actually my first, a basket) that has always smoked exceptionally hot. At first, i attributed this to my inexperience and my natural tendency to smoke, "to fast". However, i believe my self, that i have moved out of the realm of a novice begginner to, at best, a young amateur, and have come to know the pleasures of a slow smoke. The bowl walls are approx. 1/4" thick and i have pipes with thinner (ex. St. Claude Extra Billiard), and they don't smoke as hot. My only guess now is poor construction, or poor quality in the briar, hence the reason for throwing it in with the other basket pipes. I was wondering what you fine gents might have to say on the matter.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Interesting topic. My Peterson 80s tend to get hot towards the very end of the bowl. Might have to do with the flame being closer to the briar given the small amount of tobacco left when I re-light.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Some will say that it is urban legend, but I have found that pipes with heavy laquers and varnishes will smoke hot because the shiny coating will not allow the heat to dissipate.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
cajunplume:
A hot smoke is almost always attributible to two factors, either individually or jointly. The first (as you have already identified) is smoking too fast. The second is poor packing of the tobacco in the pipe's bowl. Packed too tightly, and it becomes difficult to light or keep lit (think trying to light a whole log in your fireplace). Packed too loosely (imagine setting fire to a loose bunch of fine kindling in your fireplace), and it burns too fast, overheating the bowl and your tongue.
Since it sounds like you may now have your cadence under control (always think "sipping" rather than "puffing"), I would recommend experimenting with the packing of this particular pipe. My guess is that you will find a technique which works for it.
As for the specifics of that technique, a search of the Forums here will yield a wealth of information, and possibly the answer for this pipe.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Tobacco too moist and a too narrow draft hole will cause a pipe to smoke hot as well. It wouldn't surprise me one bit that a basket pipe has a narrow draft.
Mike S.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
chasingembers makes a good point about lacquer coating. I removed the lacquer from two pipes and that improved them -- altho my issues with them weren't heat related.
huntertrw is on safe ground bringing up packing issues. I did an informal tally of complaints and suggested solutions in Carl Ehwa's

The Book Of Pipes And Tobacco, and found that ~70% of pipe smoking problems can be attributed to improper packing.
Some years ago, veteran pipe smoker and forum moderator pstlpkr (aka Lawrence), offered the suggestion that vertical grain (ie, straight grain) dissipated heat more efficiently than other types of grain or so-called bald wood. In the case of a basket pipe with a ¼" thick wall, I would check to see how much grain the wood has, and how it runs thru the bowl. Here are links to previous threads on this topic.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/do-larger-bowls-burn-hotter

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/bowl-temperatureconstruction-question

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm experiencing the same problem with a Nording I purchased recently. It has a thick, deep chamber surrounded by thick briar, but after a few leisurely puffs, gets intolerably hot. I've experimented with different packing, and use 5100 Red Cake, not a particularly moist blend, but it still overheats. Here's a photo; maybe someone can figure out the problem? Too much lacquer, perhaps?

img_08541-600x268.jpg

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I've got a similar issue with a Stanwell Golden Danish. I have 8 or 10 other pipes that smoke just fine with a myriad of tobaccos, but that thing is just hot. I do think it has a laquer.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
So possible many reasons attributed to a hot smoker. All stemming from baccy too loose/too tight. baccy too dry/too wet. Poor quality baccy/pipe. Too much laquer. Smoke too fast/too slow, etc, mate

Bottom line is: yes, one or all of these issues may apply to you right now. The good thing is you are now well aware of them.
The easiest fix to any problem is usually the one looking u straight in the face, so....... I am gonna suggest that you pack a decent quality pipe with little or no laquer, and that you pack it to proper consistency,which is springy but firm with the consistency of a straw when drawing. Light it, set it down for a couple minute then light er again and enjoy it Slowly. I'll wage you 10-1 that 75% of your pipe troubles will disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.