PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I was gifted several one pound bags of THE GOOD STUFF pipe tobacco, which I learned is really for RYO cigarettes. While I was initially thankful to have been the giftee, I find it to be almost unsmokable. So my initial thought was to mix it with an aromatic, like BCA. This would certainly improve the Stuff, but on the other hand it would degrade my BCA. Any advice?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Go buy some rolling papers and give the tobacco and rolling papers to the first homeless guy you meet. He'll be happy and you can go home and enjoy a bowl full of BCA knowing you did your good deed for the day... 8)

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Give it away is your only option. No reason to ruin good tobacco simply because you feel you have an obligation to smoke it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You could add it to compost! Seriously, I would not smoke that crap.
And, welcome to the forum!
What do you like to smoke, and in what?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I work at a cigar shop and I get the same question all the time. We care Buoy and Golden Harvest "pipe" tobacco. It's not true pipe tobacco its how they get around the taxes on cigarette tobacco. Its RYO and very disgusting.
And they always ask me "How is it?" I wanna say its terrible, but I just shrug and have no idea.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
What do you like to smoke, and in what?
Let me put it this way, my last order included a couple bags of various aromatics, three 1.5 boxes of PSLBF, and one box of PSLNF
It might be difficult to find somebody to give it to, and three pounds is a heck of a lot of cigarettes!
I've been a lurker for quite a while, just never felt smart enough to post.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Most of us aren't smart enough to post. Most of us aren't smart enough to walk and chew gum. I'm amazed on an almost daily basis that anyone here lives unsupervised...but we have fun trying :puffy:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I find it to be almost unsmokable.
There's that key word almost. This man gives some good advice:
You would be amazed at what adding some perique and or latakia will do for it.
As you intuited, the only thing that will help is something with a strong flavor that will crowd out the mediocrity. My guess is that dark fired, Perique or Latakia are your real options there. In particular, if you did a test batch, you might consider adding some dark fired and Perique at about 10% each and see what happens. If that lightens whatever flavors you found appalling the first time around, then you have a solution. If not, you're rapidly at the point where you will be smoking 1/3 to 1/2 of good tobacco to make the bad palatable, which then gives you four to six pounds of an OK blend in order to save three pounds of disaster.
As some have written, 70% of tobacco is grown for use as a pesticide. As long as you do not have children around who eat the dirt out of your flower beds, consider casting some around the beds as a way of keeping bugs at bay.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
You're doing just fine, Panama. Welcome aboard.
I'm with Zack. Dole it out, with a shitload of Bugler papers, to a couple of guys and call it good.
Fnord

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I second, well actually by this time I would say I am thirding or fourthing (or whatever the count is), the idea of buying some rolling papers and handing it out to people you see panhandling and smoking. On occasion I will see a panhandler who is smoking and go buy them a pouch of tops or bugle. I have always been amazed at how thankful they are for the gesture.

Status
Not open for further replies.