What beers are you drinking with your pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Barling Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
12 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
24 Fresh Brigham Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I'm more of a bourbon and wine guy than I am a beer guy. But as winter rolls 'round I like to sip a good beer with my pipe.
So far this year I've tried Sam Adam's Chocolate and oh man is this good with a pipe. Also tried a coffee stout or porter (cant remember) by Mr. Adams that was excellent.
Currently drinking Leine's Fireside Nut Brown and it's good. Looking forward to trying Sierra Nevada Celebration.
Any recommendations for commonly available brews?

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Personally i think its better to pair a specific beer with a specific blend, i know thats not the answer youd like but thats how its worked best for me. An example is i really enjoyed that new guiness black lager with solani vaper, its quite heavy on the perique so they paired well

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I'm in total agreement with your choices so far. Nut brown ales, chocolate and coffee stouts, all have a nice body and complimentary taste to the English blends I prefer.
I'm not positive, but it seems that darker ales like these are also less carbonated. I don't know, but it seems like too much fizz irritates my tongue when I'm smoking.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I'll answer for Shaun: Guiness.
Although, that reminds me it's that time of year to hit up Whole Foods for the organic chocolate stout that comes out this time of year.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
How bout a bowl of PA,with a Red Stripe,and a taste of cognac on the side...I likey! 8O

joe912

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2011
Wasilla, Alaska
right now? Alaskan Brewing Winter Ale. English style ale brewed with spruce tips. Not bad, but I prefer darker ales this time of year. Guinness is always a winner, Deschutes Brewing Jubelale and Black Butte Porter are nice, and so is Midnight Sun Brewing's Kodiak Brown ale. I love Midnight Sun's Mammoth Stout if it's nitro conditioned on tap, but unfortunately the only bars that offer that are all non smoking in the Peoples Republic of Los Anchorage :|

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Shipyard's Old Thumper is my current favorite. Hard to find here in FL though :(

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
Never drink beer with a pipe. Draft hole is too small to draw much liquid through and it makes the pipe soggy....
Just kidding! I find strong IPAs great with blends containing Perique. Lagunitas and Bear Republic Racer 5 being faves.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I'll answer for Shaun: Guiness.
Although, that reminds me it's that time of year to hit up Whole Foods for the organic chocolate stout that comes out this time of year.
Yep, although, I will say that I also like Amber Bock, NY Brewery's Chocolate Stout, and a couple of German brews that I cannot remember how to spell, nor say.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Last night was Guinness and Molto dulce. Because I got the tobac as a free sample in the mail and had to try it.
Mostly I would choose water or water with a bit of Scotch paired to what ever I may be smoking.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
I had some of that a few days ago, and I loved it. I don't remember ever having a Sierra Nevada brew I didn't like though.
So true. All so delicious.
I'm not a fan of trying to do hops and tobacco. It clashes to me, with both being very spicy sometimes bitter in different ways. Because of that, my choices are good malty ambers, nut browns or stouts. It's too bad the beer selection here in Bahrain is so limited, because most places allow smoking inside and I'd be able to enjoy both together. Not the case though. Pretty much limited to Guinness (not bad, but I love my craft brews) with a pipe, as I'm not going to drink a Heinekin or Bud Light with it.

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
Shiner Bock, Tommy Knocker Nut Brown, any Southern Tier, any Bell's, and Sam Adams Winter Lager. It's not bad for a Sam Adams beer.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
I don't know how widely it's available but my favorite beer is Boulevard Brewing Company's unfiltered wheat beer. Boulevard is a Kansas City based company so it's pretty popular here in MO. I'm not a great beer reviewer, I just know what I like and this is definitely good beer!
Smokey

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
I like sweet Virginias with bitter beer. Recently had some Samuel Adams lager with its strong hop character and SG's Best Brown flake. 'Twas heaven in a bowl and tankard for the likes of me.
Slight OT but last night I had some brandy that a friend just brought back from Japan. I only remember that it started with an S and a friend who runs a whiskey review site said it was really good stuff. It went Very well with my Presbyterian mixture. Very well in deed. My lack of memory is the result of age and the herb I smoke in a soap stone pipe, not the amount of brandy I drank. I swear it. :puffy:

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Would that be the Bison chocolate stout?
Never drink beer with a pipe. Draft hole is too small to draw much liquid through and it makes the pipe soggy....
Exactly, I drink my beers from a glass! Pipes are for smoking...or bubbles.
I like sweet Virginias with bitter beer.
Agreed, pale ales and IPAs work well with VA blends.

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
Yes, I think it was Sapporo. It is a bit different from the French brandies I'm used to but it was excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.