What Aromatics are good for a new pipe smoker?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylonrow

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2011
Great Britain
I'm very new to pipe smoking and i have a bit of a background with cigarettes. I generally hate the taste and smell of them.
I recently tried an aromatic called "Holland House" although the people on tobaccoreviews.com said it was good, i found it stunk of cigarettes and had no flavour at all.
I'm looking for a blend that you can readily get in the UK (i don't have a tobacconist near where i live) has a nice room note, and has a good flavour and doesn't just taste of cigarettes.
The nice room note is fairly important, i want to be able to smell nice when i smoke my pipe instead of me and my house stinking of fags.

The flavour is very important and i'm looking for a sweet fruity sort of flavour.
But any aromatic tobacco that has a nice room note and a good flavour for a new pipe smoker would be well appreciated.
I have been suggested Macbarren Vanilla Cream and Mclintok Black Cherry.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
dsc00963-600x450.jpg

W.O. Larsen 2011

fills all your criteria and then some.

shillelagh3

Lurker
Feb 19, 2011
Georgia
I really like Peterson Connoisseur's Choice. It tastes good and smells wonderful. Tom me, the room note is something like a NutriGrain bar (I don't know if they market those in the UK.) or maybe a little like Christmas pudding (I know you guys still have those over there...well, maybe not right at the moment, since it's February.) Anyway, from my experience with it (c. 5 years), I highly recommend it.

skylonrow

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2011
Great Britain
Thank you.
I now don't seem so lost, as i felt before. I think i shall try The Macbaren Vanilla, Petersons Connoisseur's Choice and i'll try the 7 sea if i can get hold of it.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Hi Skylonrow, would recommend the Seven Seas blends too. I got some 7 seas regular and love it. You can get them in the UK from here
Would second the Lanes 1Q but seems like it isn't imported into the UK (well that i can see anyway) so you would need to get some from the US, also if your getting some stuff from the US anyway then try to get some Dan's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. That's the only stuff my girlfriend has said smell exactly as it does in the packet when it's smoked.

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
Funny how similar these recommendations are! I too recommend Mac Baren 7 Seas Gold in particular, as well as 1Q.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Hey Skylonrow...Welcome to the Forum....1Q is Lane Ltd's most popular blend...a really fine aromatic that many of us enjoy.... :puffy:

skylonrow

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2011
Great Britain
I just ordered some Macbaren Vanilla, Petersons Connoisseur's Choice and Mclintok Black Cherry.
That should be good enough to keep me quiet for a bit :)

skylonrow

Might Stick Around
Feb 23, 2011
Great Britain
Would you guys say I have a different pipe for each blend, or should i just smoke all of my blends in the pipe I currently have?
I've read various people opinion on this matter.

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
I believe that to be a matter of preference. Honestly I smoke all my blends in all my pipes (Ha! all 4 of them!) I have never noticed "ghosting" (the noticeable essence of ealier tobaccos when smoking something different), but I am finding there are blends I prefer in certain pipes.
Sean

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
If you are only smoking aromatics I don't think it matters too much to dedicate particular blends to specific pipes unless a certain blend is sauced/cased/topped with a component especially prone to ghost.

Status
Not open for further replies.