Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:   

What are You Reading?

(127 posts)
  1. seakayak

seakayak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm about half way through Rick Murcer's fourth "Manny Williams" novel, "Caribbean Rain." Great character development and plots that keep me engaged from the first page. The Island theme that rings through the entire series is just the thing for a long winter's night. What have you been reading as 2013 begins? We can all use a few good book suggestions from time to time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Kon Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. joeahearn

joeahearn

Login to Send PM

Marge Piercy's novel, Vida, and two books of poems, Jack Gilbert's Collected and Hoa Nguyen's As Long As Trees Last.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cajundad

cajundad

Login to Send PM

Huxley , A Brave New World .

"A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan."
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. madmurdoc

madmurdoc

Login to Send PM

Leon Uris, Trinity

“The same hand that can write a beautiful poem, can knock you out with one punch—that's Poetic Justice.”
    ― "Irish" Wayne Kelly
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. philobeddoe

philobeddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Still Searching For Pipe Dreams by Rick Newcombe.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

getting ready to order the latest dresden files

The true measure of a mans worth is how he chooses to chance his mortality
    Junior Member of the Black Bloods
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. burghbriar

burghbriar

Login to Send PM

I'm trying to read books that I have always meant too. Right now I'm 325 pp. into Tolstoy's Anna Karenina and can't put it down which surprises me. Next on the list is Moby Dick.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just started Cold Days by Jim Butcher. I hope it's better than Ghost Story.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. frtimmyd

frtimmyd

Login to Send PM

Just finished my semi-annual reading of The Lord of the Rings. Currently reading The Quest for Community by Robert Nisbet and Democracy in America by Tocqueville

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A Higher Call, true story of a German pilot who flys and protects a B17 that is so badly damaged it can barely fly, The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. irishsmoker

irishsmoker

Login to Send PM

The enormous novel called The Complete Sherlock Holmes.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." - Charles Lamb
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. hunter185

hunter185

Login to Send PM

The Innocent - David Baldacci

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just about done with "Fingerprints of the Gods" by Graham Hancock (again) also just completed, again as well, "Food of the Gods" by Terence McKenna

Not sure what I want to read next

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. cezario

cezario

Login to Send PM

Jack O'Connor's "Hunting in three continents" , (Safari Press, Third edition).

Cezario
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been going back to read classics I missed as a kid. Just finished The Call of the Wild, White Fang and Siddhartha and am starting Kim. Also just bought the second volume of the The Complete Sherlock Holmes. Good winter reading.

"Each of you be a light unto yourself; betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone beside yourself." -The Buddha
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. lyle

lyle

Login to Send PM

The White People and Other Weird Stories by Arthur Machen

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. flintlockjohn

flintlockjohn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Handbook of Hatches, by Dave Hughes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. pipebreath

pipebreath

Login to Send PM

Just finished re-reading Wanderings of an Elephant hunter by Bell.

Due to a recent order to Safari Press I have quite a few on the shelf to choose from ones that I have never read. I think my next will be African Rifles and Cartridges by Taylor.

Kramer
    "No... look away, I'm Hideous"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. bronxbill

bronxbill

Login to Send PM

Just started reading "Killing Kennedy" Bill O'Reilly's follow up to "Killing Lincoln". Pretty good so far, lots of behind the scenes details from the time from "Bay of Pigs" to the Assassination.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just started Stephen King's "Hearts in Atlantis"

Kent

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. bubblehead33

bubblehead33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 on the Holmes Irish! just finished the complete collection on my iphone and read the newest paperback, House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz. id recommend it for sure! this guy did his homework and its a great read. the only problem is that its about 50-100 chapters too short, read it too quick :D. love Holmes!

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@frtimmyd I hope you’ve read the Silmarillion, it’s the bible of LOTR series.

Currently reading for fun a book series I read 20 years ago, Dragon Riders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey.

Good reads if you’re looking are Dune by Frank Herbert, Lord of the Flies by William Golding, Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein, 1984 by George Orwell and LOTR obviously.

Being a screenwriter I spend a good bit of each day reading, usually 1-3, 90-130 page scripts. They are from every genre, range from good to bad (mostly) and change through different drafts. In the last week I read about 20 of the movies up for Oscars. It’s a big part of the job, reading others scripts to learn, help someone else with their script, writing critiques and reviews. The most fun is seeing a movie from a script you read about 2 years before is, and seeing all the changes made on the set and the editing room. When you’re reading you always picture who would be playing a part, then get blown away when you see who plays the part.

Good examples:
    Flight - never in a million years saw Denzel Washington playing the part. I can’t believe he even took the role, in the end it hurt a good movie. Why? Because it wasn’t “Training Day” or “Safe House” and that’s what people expect for him now.

Django - QT can and does anything he wants. He breaks all the rules of writing and filming. Scripts should be 100-120 pages but Django is 170 pages and its loaded pages, packed with description and dialogue. Then he makes huge changes as he films and edits it, in the end its signature Tarantino. Nobody writes like him, or makes a film like him.

Prometheus – Originally written as Alien Engineers. Great read, and totally bombed at the box office. They made massive changes and destroyed the movie. The proverbial “The book is better than the movie”.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. keith929

keith929

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

75% of the way through the third book in George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire: A Storm of Swords.

A smart man learns from the mistakes of others.
    A wise man learns from his own.
    ---Anonymous
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. guitarguy86

guitarguy86

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Pipe, by Georges Herment.
    Gifted to me by a fellow member

"A serious yet diverting treatise on the history of the pipe and all it's appurtenances, as well as a factual withal philosophical discussion of the pleasurable art of selecting pipes, smoking and caring for them."

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. misterzombie

misterzombie

Login to Send PM

World War Z. It is pretty good and I'm almost done. Not really a horror novel and much more a war documentary. I'm curious as to how the movie will turn out.

"If you meet Buddha, kill Buddha. If you meet your father, kill your father. Attached to nothing, bound by nothing. Live life for the sake of life itself." - Buddhist proverb
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. cezario

cezario

Login to Send PM

"War Horse - A History of the Military Horse and Rider" by col. Louis A DiMarco ( Westholme , 2008).

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. erichbaumer

erichbaumer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just moved on the The Return of the King, been reading the trilogy over break. If I read a novel after this, it'll be Game of Thrones, but I'll be at school reading for classes so I may just stick to the Poe and Frost complete collections I got for Christmas.

"I don't want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it." -Mark Twain
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. pipeinhand

pipeinhand

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jack Reacher #1, and writings of Edgar Cayce, next is Tom Clancy, Locked On.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of
    anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life,
    nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. thebadkitty

Steve

Login to Send PM

I was reading Ken Auletta's "Googled" but then had to put down pleasure reading and make my way through this,

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

George R. Stewarts 1950 post-apocalyptic novel "The Earth Abides", which inspired Stephen Kings "The Stand". I can't believe this was written in 1950. If anyone wants a mobi copy for Kindle, PM me your email.
    http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Abides-George-R-Stewart/dp/0345487133

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. zanthal

zanthal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been listening to the Hobbit and I've been slowly going through No Easy Day.

“ Rest satisfied with doing well, and leave others to talk of you as they please. ”
    — Pythagoras
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. ichbinmuede

ichbinmuede

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm currently in to White Night from Jim Butcher in his Dresden Files series.

Not at all surprised to be enjoying it.

"Enjoy every sandwich." -Warren Zevon
    Best advice that I've ever heard.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  34. seakayak

seakayak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just started No Easy Day. It is the remarkable 1st person account of life on a US Navy SEAL team. Sometimes, we all need a small reminder of the strength and courage that created this Constitutional Republic, and the responsibilities that accompany life as an American.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Currently reading The Pacific by Hugh Ambrose, it is a lot different than the HOB series. Also reading book three of the Day by Day Armageddon series: Shattered Hourglass.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. swhipple

swhipple

Login to Send PM

I'm currently rereading the "belgariad" series. It's my favourite fantasy work.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I just started No Easy Day. It is the remarkable 1st person account of life on a US Navy SEAL team. Sometimes, we all need a small reminder of the strength and courage that created this Constitutional Republic, and the responsibilities that accompany life as an American.

My brother (ex-Ranger) just finished that and like it. I sent him a copy of "Argo". The author lives in our town. Both on deck in my Kindle.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The redhead is caught up on reading the Game of Thrones series. Now she's worried the author, G.R.R. Martin, is old and he may not live long enough to finish it all. I reminded her George is a year younger than I am ...

The last book I read is The King in the Window by Adam Gopnik, over the Holidays -- my grandson got it for Christmas.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My second time reading "Attending Marvels: A Patagonian Journal" by George Gaylord Simpson. I lived in Argentina in the early 80's and this book - written in the 30's - reinforces my love/hate relationship I have with that country.

@Al: My HS English teacher wife loves the post- Apocalyptic genre and "The Earth Abides" has stayed with me for a long time.

@burghbriar: Hang in there with "Moby Dick." It took me three, maybe four tries to get beyond the dreaded 250 page mark and then the greatest American novel ever written sucked me in and I became an able bodied seaman on the Pequod. I'm so glad I never quit trying.

@Dragonslayer: I truly enjoy your screenwriting insight - please keep posting, friend-o.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm currently reading book 5 of Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time series. Lots of pipe smoking in those books.

Cut me... I bleed black.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  41. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@fnord Thanks, I do tend to go on about things, occupational habit. I love talking about the things I read, many are SO good and will never see the screen and that’s a shame. The reason is very simple… For every Transformer six (or whatever) or sequels past one they put out, three great movies could be made.

@ anthonyrosenthal You are going to LOVE the books, all 10,000+ pages of the series. By book five Fires of Heaven (980 pages) it really takes off. Lord of Chaos the next one is amazing. Hope you’re reading the hardbacks, save those eyes. It’s a fantastic massively character book series, and if you missed something go back and re-read the part it will matter later. The absolute shame is he died before the last book, but is being finished from his notes and is spread over 3 books (greed), last is just released. I’ll be waiting for the E-book to finish the 14 book series this summer. He always said he knew the ending before he started on the 17 year project.

JUST IF YOU’RE INTERESTED:
    Robert Jordan the pen name for James Oliver Rigney, Jr. was an avid pipe smoker, in later years became a PIPE COLLECTOR. I have no idea where they went, was smoking cigars at the time, I would have loved to get some of them IF ANYONE HAS SOME? He lived in Charleston, died in 2007 and is buried at ST. JAMES Cemetery. I’m trying to get ahold of her through forums and the church she is now working at – Now that I’m into pipes, which I blame you guys, was enjoying the tobacco NOW I got to start collecting pipes! A pathetic journey to own the best ones you could possibly have *sigh*. There is a documentary, The Wit of the Staircase: The Life and Work of Robert Jordan that was to be released in December, but is going straight to DVD so hopefully we’ll see it by spring, my number two writer behind Tolkien.

Wheel of Time is the best series of fantasy books other than LOTR, in some ways better, but that’s another conversation. But not unless you’re ready to spend a year+ reading them. He also has an unpublished 98000 page book series Warriors of the Altaii he wrote before WoT. He also wrote 8 or so Conan books. And even a Western!
    So again I go on and on, smoking nothing but St. James tonight.
    Craig

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dragonslayer, I actually quit reading his books thinking he would die before he ever finished them. Of course I wasn't serious but I said that a few times. I decided I would wait until the series was finished and read them then so I would not have to wait forever between books... I hate that. I was saddened when I heard of his death, and overjoyed to hear that Sanderson was to take over the story. From what I understand, he and Jordan went over the plans together while Jordan was on his death bed. I need to pick up his Conan books as well. I've been a Conan fan since childhood. Speaking of Conan, it turns out they are finally making that "but that is another story" movie, with Arnold as King Conan.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. cezario

cezario

Login to Send PM

"Elephant" by col. Craig Boddington ( Safari Press, 2012)

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. loseth

loseth

Login to Send PM

Right now, "Forgotten God" by Francis Chan. The next few will likely include "The Problem of Pain" by C.S. Lewis and "Down and Out In Paris and London" by George Orwell

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

http://www.amazon.com/Devil-White-City-Madness-Changed/dp/0375725601

Amazing story of the Chicago "World's Fair" and a mastermind serial killer.

All of which, as it happens, is completely true.

Amazing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. aaronbrill

aaronbrill

Login to Send PM

I started reading Grapes of Wrath last week for about the 10th time and decided to hit the bookstore this afternoon to see what other Steinbeck books they had. I picked up East of Eden and haven't been able to put it down since I started it, but now I need a refill on the scotch and try to decide what I'm going to smoke

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just finished Racketeer by Grisham , nothing heavy, like history , stories of men or women who have shaped America or the world The old cajun

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. philobeddoe

philobeddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rereading "Hell I Was There", by Elmer Keith.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ anthonyrosenthal When he first got sick he had posted that all his notes and HDDs were to be destroyed so nobody could finish it if he didn't get better. Later his wife Harriet McDougal, who edited his books, read some of Brandon Sanderson work and commented that it was darker than Jordan's style but would be a good fit. TOR books really had no choice but to agree. Jordan worked on the book really to the end with Sanderson. All the notes and outline had been finished, it was just the matter of filling in the details. I personally think Rigney would be pissed off that it got split into three books. That IMO was just greed on TOR's part and I'm kinda pissed that Harriet went along with it. She didn't need the money, and she knew he wouldn't have appoved of it. BUT it's done now and what a series it is!
    If you got the time, it's got the mind expanding concept of fantasy.
    Craig

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. corncobguy

corncobguy

Login to Send PM

Im reading White feather:Carlos Hathcock USMC scout sniper. What a read. If you havent read this book i would highly recommend it. I feel like im actually crawling thru the jungle with him. Gives me shivers

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@dragonslayer I definitely have time. I always make sure I get a bit of reading in before I hit the sack at night, and sometimes during the day. I love the series so far, and I'm sure I'll love the rest. I'll be finished with book 5 soon.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@anthonyrosenthal Cool, get ready for Lord of Chaos, Rand is on the move, it really will test your mind on who the hell everyone is, and what they've done. I had to go back and check on some things in the earlier books to figure out what the hell he was writing about. lols
    Craig

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looking forward to it dragonslayer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A few weeks ago I finished "The Devils of Loudon" by Aldous Huxley which was a fascinating read. Then tonight I finished up "Stranger in a Strange Land" for the first time since High School which I think was a great read despite its criticisms over the years. Heinlein really brought forth a lot of interesting ideas in that book and I am very fond of the story. Next I think Im gonna tackle "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo."

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. pipesicle

pipesicle

Login to Send PM

Just finished reading Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. Great book!

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Forgotten by Grisham. The old cajun

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My mom gave me the Steve Jobs Biography, so far he's a acid-dropping, zen-buddhist, yoga loving, vegan-dieting hippie who abandons his own daughter and is obnoxious, uncaring, cruel, and elitist.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
    that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights,
    that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness
    Posted 1 year ago #
  58. freakiefrog

freakiefrog

Login to Send PM

Currently I'm rereading Peter Chapsticks books. "Death in the Long grass", "Death in the Dark Continent", "Death in the silent places","Death in the Lonely Places" and "The man eaters of Tsovo". If your like hunting or Big game hunting check these out the guy was a way with words that almost lets yo taste the dust and smell the sweat.

I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new.
    Robert W. Service
    Posted 1 year ago #
  59. cynyr

cynyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I remember reading Capstick in Outdoor Life! The line I'll always remember was "...cartridges as big as asparagus."

Some really great stuff up there, especially Devil in the White City and World War Z. I'm going to hunt down The Earth Abides.

@Brad - I just heard the story behind Higher Calling last year. I will definitely find that one!

Oh - and I am currently reading James Robertson's masterful Stonewall Jackson.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. freakiefrog

freakiefrog

Login to Send PM

@cynyr I love the Cape Buffalo story.

"He is a living arsenal of weaponry for use against jerkwater hunters or preoccupied Africans, offering a Chinese menu choice on you shortcut to Glory of horns that can disembowel a locomotive, hooves like split mattock-heads, and up to a ton of bulk that can roll you into a fair resemblance of shaggy tollhouse cookie mix. What's more, if you cross him and get caught, he will display a singular lack of reluctance, regardless of race, color, or creed, to give you a nice, home demonstration of his talents. "

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. bambam

bambam

Login to Send PM

The chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever

Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.
    (Robert Kennedy)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  62. billbearcat

billbearcat

Login to Send PM

Just finished the 11th book of The Wheel of Time" series. Probably will start the next one this week.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Third Bullet by Stephen Hunter, Bob Lee Swagger hunts for the mystery bullet in the Jack Kennedy assination. The old cajun

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Hey, must be a new Hunter novel, I'll have to get that! Thanks oldcajun.

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. jharvard

jharvard

Login to Send PM

Charles Bukowski's Post Office.
    Great thread. Enjoy learning what you guys are reading. Cheers!

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Reading book 4 of the George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series (aka game of thrones series). Once I'm done with that I need to pick up the latest edition to the Wheel of Time by Sanderson. I just hope he finished up Jordan's masterpiece series.

Midwest Wood Creations
    Be sure to check out Gecko13's handiwork when in the market for any of your pipe accessory needs such as tampers, cabinets, pipe racks etc.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  67. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Finally getting around to reading Robert Graves', The White Goddess (A Historical Grammar of Poetic Myth).

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  68. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@fitzy The new Wheel Of Time book is the last one

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. mountainman

mountainman

Login to Send PM

I'm reading Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Half way through and it is a great read.

Proud member of the Blackblood Society.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  70. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Test questions for Level2 Certification ....Tripoli Rocketry Association

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pipebaum81, phil67, boilermakerandy, teufelhund, gr8scott, nepenthe1, daimyo, pascal, rcstan, radio807, woodsroad, modtad, ssjones, mikestanley, framitz, trailboss, bulletsnbriars, instymp, easterntraveler, coalsmoke