PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I saw this in my ebay feed with 30 seconds left on the auction and casually bid up the $14.50 bid by fifty cents thinking someone probably has me covered anyway. Oops, I win! Now I'm the proud owner of this... thing. I need a breathalyzer app on my computer to keep this from happening again.
hookahpipe_zps49475723.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
tuold:
Does this pipe truly have a goose-neck stem? If so, then I must say it's the first that I have EVER seen. Do you have a museum where you live? Perhaps they would want it.
As for questionable eBay purchases, I have had my share. We should start a service for those similarly afflicted: 1-800-DON-TBID!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Good thought. I'll examine it carefully after it gets here. Wonder if I can get an asbestos test kit online....
The stummel looks like a jumbo Wellington. I'll do some research before lighting up.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Well I'd bet that you're the only guy with one of those. As for asbestos, I doubt it contains any; it's probably just a rubber hose wrapped with canvas. any idea where it was made?

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Looks to me that someone shoved a hookah hose into an old pipe. You could always get a predrilled briar block and use your hose to make a desk pipe

http://www.loringpage.com/attpipes/53Ds-deskpipe2%20$700.jpg

53Ds-deskpipe2%20$700.jpg

Mar 30, 2014
wv
That is a unique pipe. Any idea what and how old it is?

From the looks, you might end up with an opium buzz if you smoke it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The guy at Cigars International, who hosts the monthly "Pipe Guild" meetings always smokes a Savinelli desk pipe just like that Dunhill. For that type of event, it works quite well. I can it effective for reading, etc.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
That reminds me of old Finnish pipes, particularly a type called "Rantasalmelainen" (from Rantasalmi, a place in Southern Savonia). They had hose or tube stems, horn or resin mouthpieces. The bowl was typically made of birch (often masur birch) and lined with clay. Can't say for sure that your pipe is from Finland, but it's possible. Perhaps the same style was made elsewhere, as well.
Couldn't find much info on the them on the web, but here's an old museum page in Finnish. Perhaps google translates.. http://www.nba.fi/fi/kansallismuseo/kokoelmat/kuukauden_esine_2005/piippu
9W3EMzq.jpg

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I had several friends in college in the '60s who had Savinelli desk pipes. They were reasonably priced and were great while studying. The only real problem was cleaning the hose.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I was thinking Eastern European before I saw the Finnish pipe post. It sure looks to have similar fittings. Yours looks to be in good condition. I guess if it were mine, I'd clean it and smoke it.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm going with the Finland origin theory for now since the bowl carving looks very similar to the one in jarit's picture. In one of the seller's pictures it looks like the bowl has a white interior. I guess I'll know more after it gets here next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.