PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesinistral

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2016
(This isn't a review, in my opinion, because, I am not qualified, frankly. These are just my impressions). On the weight of manyreviews here, I received my shipment including JKP, Escudo and FVF. All three are new to me and after a 10 year break ( Faves were English blends like Renaissance, Squadron Leader and something that stars with a P).
All smoked in brand newish cobs to remove a variable:

JKP - smells like My BBQ smoker, according to the bride. She was right. After a thin slice/rub out anda quick 10 minute dry out in my dehydrator I was treated to a robust, billowy and heady smoke. I nursed it, worried about the N hit. But it was nothing to worry about. Perhaps I have a tolerance for nicotine. A little buzzy when I got carried away or did not pay attention but not overwhelming and quite manageable. Notes of heavy leather and a roaring campfire came to mind. At first blush It seems a quite straightforward,honest, satisfying tobacco. This one deserves more consideration and more surprises are in store, I am certain. It smoked down to the stereotypical fine grey ash.
That was fun! I am a VA/PER newb but if last week's Luxury Bullseye was a compass then the Escudo would be simpler smoke I.e. less fiddly, needing less attention. A fold and stuff later and it was confirmed. I was treated to a smooth, cool yet complex experience . Puff it? No problem. No bite, just luxurious smoke. Sip it? Subtle but complex flavors started to emerge. Like the JKP, this one will be even better once I learn to wring the most from it. But unlike the JKP, this will be a fine choice for my commute. Not too many relights, no nic swoon, just an easy smoke. This might be sacrilege: though more complex it doesn't seem head and shoulders above the Bullseye. Of course this will require more "testing".
Full Virginia Flake... Where to start?.... Burning leaves, a little saltiness, then some sweetness sneaks in right in the middle. Then I caught a fleeting, not unpleasant,floral scent. Is that a hint of the Lakeland flavor I have read about? I wasn't quite prepared for a so-called straight Virginia, 3rd style of the night to have so much going on. Wow.
Here are three completely different blends yet each one got my attention in a different way, in a BIG way.
For an evening sitting on the couch it was quite a journey.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Dang. Sounds like an awesome night. Those are 3 of my absolute favorite blends.
On the Escudo, I think given some more time you may start to taste more difference between it and the bullseye flake. Escudo has secrets, begging to be discovered. Bullseye flake just puts everything it has on the line from the beginning. Take some time to get to know the Escudo and it will start to divulge it's secrets. I get a much deeper, richer spread of flavors from the Escudo.
Then again, everyone's taste is different.
Happy puffing.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
That sounds pretty stellar. I haven't tried any of those yet. Almost ordered some JKP yesterday but priorities coupled with the Canadian dollar wouldn't allow it, and my timing with FVF is all messed up- it's sold out every time I look!
Glad you enjoyed the three....happy puffing x 2

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
I'd be hunched over the toilet turning green if i tried all of those in one evening! Props to you!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great selection of blends. I cellar both Escudo and FVF big time. I would smoke Jack but it has too much red virginia which burns my tongue off. Grab as much as you can on all three as they will age real nice. I am currently smoking a bowl of 2004 FVF which is sublime. I am also smoking through a tin of 2008 Escudo which is amazingly creamy and has great fig and raisin flavors. The peppery taste in fresh Escudo tones down some in the aged version. Other vapers to try are SG St James Flake, Solani 633 and Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls. The DNR is sweeter and less peppery than the Escudo even though they look like the same.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Great selection for a night's smoke. Personally I would have reversed the order, starting with the straight VA, then the VA/Per, & finishing with the VA/Bur. This would be for both palatal progression & increased strength.

Or maybe experiment with an equal mix of all 3 at once.

thesinistral

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2016
Thanks for all the advice! Interesting note about the red virginia biting you, cigrmaster, because I found the (admittedly fresh) FVF to be more 'bitey' than the JKP. That is probably because I was more cautious of the JKP due to the N. And I surely puffed too fast because FVF was a bit of a revelation.
To that point, great advice about about puffing too fast, shutterbugg. I definitely need to work on that. You all know the drill, pack too tight and/or tamp too hard and then it wants to go out in 2nd half of the bowl. But the good part is that practice is enjoyable. :)

thesinistral

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2016
Oh, and clickklick, you have me wondering if I have a high tolerance for nicotine? I have never smoked stogies or nails but I also have never gotten the 'spins' or niccups I hear about. I guess I will get some brown bogie rope (or whatever it is called). Just kidding.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Enjoyed the write-ups. Always interesting to see how others experience the various blends. Welcome to the forums

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
because I found the (admittedly fresh) FVF to be more 'bitey' than the JKP
FVF has no red virginia's but will bite if it is too wet and you smoke too fast. I have found that cube cutting into very small cubes works best. I also usually smoke it in a Dublin, Apple and Billiard. Something with thicker walls is also good.

Status
Not open for further replies.