PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Big puffy wads of snow on limbs and bushes, with deep grooves in the street (on only one side?) where a four-wheeler has crunched through. We're getting some blinking on the power and the computer re-booted itself. We're in central North Carolina. Had some hot coffee and breakfast. Fingers crossed. For North Carolina, this is unusually early for a winter weather event. These usually happen on into the new year. I doubt our Sunday paper arrived. I can't see it, and may not go down the hill to check until tomorrow. Got my big lug sole hiking boots and other gear for this purpose. One time I reached out across the glaze ice in the gutter to snag the plastic newspaper bag with a pruning pole's saw blade. It worked surprisingly well. If the power stays up, I believe we'll do okay. Hope all of you other snowbound folks are fine. For you Alaskans, just sit back and enjoy a good laugh. Until it gets to 75 below, I know you don't care. Hope you don't have any more tumblers up there. We just had two hurricane experiences hereabouts, but did okay in our particular location.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've been in your part of the country when it snows ... nothing to laugh about. The inter-state looked like an elephant graveyard for 18-wheelers, little wheels turned to sky. The kids will revel in it. Those having to go to work will not handle it well. My advice ... if you can ... stay home until all of the neophyte/unprepared drivers have found their place in the ditch.
It is entertaining up here for the first snow to watch those drivers, eyes wide, fingers gripping the wheel, brakes firmly engaged, gape at the scenery slowly going passing the windshield as they rotate, wheels locked and turned as hard as possible, into the ditch.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I'm fully planning on staying inside all day. It's one of those cold, rainy, snowy, hot chocolate, coffee, plenty of snacks, leaned back on the recliner watching movies and football kind of day. When this weather hits us here in NC, I'm just as happy as anyone out there to stay at home and look at it with plenty of stuff to keep me happy at home.
It's just as fun to watch here too, Warren. I took a physics class as part of my engineering curriculum, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that brakes don't work on ice... frictionless plane and all, but they do it. I'm not under any false ideas that I'm a professional snow driver so I keep my ass at home when possible. When I have to go in to the office, I shake my head at the idiots that think it's still okay to drive 70 mph on all that slush. I'm always worried more about other people than myself.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I saw VA already declared a state of emergency. Thankfully, a few hours south of my stores.....I can rest easy today.

Be safe!

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I'm in Richmond, VA. We have about 6 inches of snow and counting. I have to get up extra early to make it to the hospital tomorrow. Totally enjoyed my snow day today with a few bowls of Christmas Cookie and my old lady.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I too enjoy taking it easy with my wife. We share a lot of laughs and collaborate on the food. All the really good stuff is hers.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Congrats on the snow! I love the stuff. My brother, a truck driver, notsomuch.
Glad to hear you are safe and warm.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It warmed a few degrees yesterday, so the snow melted off the limbs, but this morning it was snowing again. I'll likely boot up and try to dig out newspapers if any, to evade cabin fever later. So far, it's been a good down time. The roads are said to be better, but when I get out tomorrow or Wednesday, I'll stick to the main drags.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
We got 12 inches of snow, a couple inches of sleet and then some freezing rain. We lost power last night, and it didn't come back on until about 5 EST. The roads are covered with snow and ice, so we're staying home tomorrow, too.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
In total, we received 15" of snow and ice in south-central Virginia. Here are a few quick snaps that I took while out with the dog this morning...
JTLXe2g.jpg

jcD160Z.jpg

qTIKoOt.jpg

OEeQZCQ.jpg

It was pretty then, but nothing but a mess now, after the thaw. It will be down in the teens tonight. So, the conditions will be more dangerous in the morning due to the re-frozen snowmelt.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Take care everybody. When people hit the roads, they'll have pent-up energy and the usual shaky judgement.

We had something new this morning, freezing fog. I don't think I have ever heard that term, but the fog rolled in and coated the streets with a thin layer of ice. Nothing else seemed affected except the streets. I laughed at the warning and headed off to take my daughter to her job, and the roads looked perfectly fine. But, I couldn't get out of the driveway.
I have been hearing for a few years now that our roads down South are made of something different than what they use up North. They are made of something that will not melt as easily, and since snow isn't usually an issue, that wasn't worked into the formula. Whether this is true or not, I have never seen a mist just instantly freeze to the streets and leave everything else unharmed. But, it does sort of explain why when it does snow here, the roads turn to sheets of ice.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Up here, I believe we are writing about the same thing, the nearly invisible ice is called "black ice." The freezing fog is referred to as "ice fog." It leave a sheath of ice on tree limbs, coats the road and vehicles, while sometimes freezing vehicle doors closed. Miserable stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.