PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Over the past couple of weeks I've been mightily enjoying English blends, as they perfectly fit the current weather here in South-Eastern Ontario with the gloomy, dark, snow-laden skies. You can say I've pretty much re-kindled my love affair with the old Murray's era Dunhill blends (Nightcap, London Mixture), found some amazing vintage Orientals (Dunbar, Caledonian 466) and touched base with the long-neglected yet outstanding #10, #78 and #524 blends from Carol over at Pipeworks and Wilke.
Some months ago, I had received a mind-blowing YABO from another forum member, which contained among other goodies 50g of G.L. Pease's Westminster blend. I had it jarred up and almost forgotten about it due to the recent Dunhill-mania that had grabbed my attention. Until today. I had never tried Westminster ever before, since you can't find Pease tins here in Canada (a shame!!), and also had never heard anything about it except "great English", which is pretty much the standard thing you hear about all of Mr. Pease's myriads of blends.
So this morning I found the jar with Westminster and thought "hey let's try this one instead". After all, there was light flurries drifting in and out, and the morning air was heavy with fog - no better time for an English. Hence, I loaded up my 1967 Brigham 1-Dot Size 3 Dublin, sat back in my comfy chair outside, wrapped in a thick blue blanket, sat down with a steaming hot cup of Brazilian coffee and a good book, and prepared to put light to the bowl.
You've probably come across the impression "love at first sight"? The moment when you lay eyes on something or someone so outstandingly beautiful that the world skips a beat and everything else seizes to exist, and you know that your reality has forever changed...
... Well, I can now attest that there is such a thing as "love at first light", too. At that very moment, when the warm yellow flame gently caressed the top-layer of Westminster, and the tobacco took that first deep red glow, and the first wave of smoke hit my palate, everything else seized to exist. The world stopped, not only for a heartbeat, but for a good 45 minutes. I was under a spell, cast by Westminster, and it had taken me out of the blue. Only after I finished the smoke, did I realize that I was covered in snow, my coffee was frozen, and the book I had taken to read while smoking still lay untouched on the side-table. Like "Little Briar Rose" awaking after 100 years of sleep, I stunningly looked around and snapped back into the hear and now, asking myself what had just happened.
Wow! Thank you Mr. Pease. This is truly the *best* English I've ever had, and probably ever will have. How can "Penzance" be so hyped when something like Westminster exists? Why have I never before heard of Westminster? Time to stock up - I've found "my" English, and that in such an unexpected way!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
hfearly:
Westminster is one of my favorites, and I'm smoking my way through a 2009 tin now. Great stuff!
BTW, there's a Dunhill connection. Greg blended this to replicate his memory of the original Dunhill London Mixture. It's been decades since I had the original; more recently I was able to get a 15-year-old tin of the Murray's version. The latter was great. . . but nothing like Westminster to my palate. So who knows whether he nailed it or not. But he definitely did nail a great English.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Yes, while Westminster may be the attempt to re-create an olden blend (pre-Murray's London Mixture), I think Mr. Pease in a stroke of genius created a new blend that just blows everything out of the water. Seems to me more like the roles have been reversed: Murray's-era London Mixture (I have two tins of this) as an attempt to recreate Westminster, yet it falls short.
I find this especially significant as I don't really believe in being able to re-create a lost blend, just because the particular tobacco varietals, which are greatly influenced by climate, soil, and parent plants, are lost. I've seen so many blenders try to re-create Bengal Slices and Balkan Sobranie, and no one can really hit it off (even though some good blends came out of that, which capture the spirit at least). So I've grown skeptical of any blend that is advertised as a "recreation of the fabled X". I don't think Westminster should fall into that category. It's way better than anything it might try to re-create. English tobacco on a whole new level!

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I haave smoked GL Pease Westminster on and off for some time. More recently (aboutthe last six months) I have moved to GL Pease Lagonda. If you like toasted latakia blends try Lagonda you will be in for a treat.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I just recieved a tin in my last order, it's just moved up to number one on my "to open list." Looking forward to finishing my current tin of Nightcap and lightin' up a bowl!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/escudo-love-at-first-light
Here's a blast from the past that your title reminded me of... ;)
I was similarly enamoured with Westminster when I first tried it, but my enthusiasm for English blends faded before long and I have not reexamined it since.
I will agree, though, that it is quite impressive when compared to the other English tobaccos that I have tried. Westminster set my heart aflutter when I first tried it whereas the constantly acclaimed Penzance left me hanging.
Roth, I think it is valid for blenders to riff on an old blend and create their own interpretation. That is what Pease has done, as opposed to trying to make an exact replica - which is impossible for the aforementioned reasons.
I wish more blenders tried to capture the essence of lost blends in one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.