PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scratchadams

Lurker
Dec 17, 2016
Well, I just have to thank jerwynn again for the amazing assortment of tobacco samples that he sent me just before the holidays, such a generous guy! I just tried the wessex brown VA flake today, which he had labeled as one of his favorites. I gotta say, I absolutely loved this stuff! As soon as it was lit, the aroma reminded me of what first drew me to smoking a pipe, it burned very nicely with only having to relight it once, and it made me verrrry mellow ( too bad I smoked it during my lunch break, as it made me want to take a nap afterwards :D ). I will definitely be picking up a tin of this for myself, and can't wait to sample more varieties! I will try to post my experience with each one (will have to go back over the ones I have already tried so I can have the experience fresh in my head when I make a post).

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Och Scratch-lad, this all just makes my day!! SO GLAD you're enjoying!! I'd bet you'd really enjoy this reverie about Wessex BVF by the inimitable Shane Ireland of spc!
Shane Ireland on Wessex BVF
It was this writing that made WBVF a must-try for me and since, I've never been wrongly steered by Shane's reviews and notes on a myriad host of other great pipe tobaccos. I just hope I did the URL thang right! Btw, that Balvenie is making me want to put on a kilt and play bag-pipes!! Thank YOU!!
Happy Pipes in every way!! So many great bakkies, so little time!

Jerry

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
What's the difference between a brown and red VA? As far as I know most of what I've smoked has been of the red variety?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
... which he had labeled as one of his favorites
That's because the man has great taste in tobacco! :mrgreen:
I'm just finishing up some GH Rum Twist myself, also from Jerry. :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
What's the difference between a brown and red VA?
It goes from yellow, red or orange to brown via heat and steam. This generally mellows the tobacco out some. If you continue with the heat and steam past the point of brown to black then you've made Cavendish.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
This is killing me, there HAS to be a joke in there someplace!!
What's the difference between red and brown Virginia's? PUNCHLINE
Except I can't remember it! Can anyone else? Or is my mind just making stuff up again?! Wouldn't be the first time!

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
What's the difference between red and brown Virginia's?
When a Virginia is flue cured it is taken to 130 degrees F. Once the leaf is dry the temp is increased to 160F to dry the stem. This yields the most common type a Virginia, A bright yellow leaf. Red Virginia is dried at 165F. This may seem odd since normal stem drying takes place at 160 but it's all about the wet bulb/dry bulb temps that are achieved and various stages of the cure.
As for Brown Virginia, that would indicate to me that the leaf was air cured. By air curing there would be no sugar in the leaf. I suspect that the Wessex Brown VA flake uses regular flue cured Brightleaf tobacco. The "Brown" is probably part of their marketing.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Honestly, shaintiques is very wise and right on the mark as always! WBVF really is crap! Especially when it's back-ordered, out-of-stock, or "temporarily unavailable!!! Heh heh... Dave, meet me out behind the barn after dark... we can corner the market and they'll never know what hit them!!! MOOWOOHAHAHAHAHAHAHAaaaaaaaa!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.