PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So while up in TN for my AT hiking trip me and my buddy went over to Gatlinburg for the sole purpose of visiting the Gatlin-Burlier. My buddy has been going there for years as they make up his favorite blend, Cade's Cove Cavendish. Upon entering the gentleman behind the counter says, "hello fellows, feel free to load up your pipes and try a blend." I thought that was super cool, and above the jars there is a sign that reads "sampling bar". Now I have been in many shops around the country, but few welcome you to just load up and smoke away without a purchase, though I have to say, I did end up buying a couple of ounces of what I sampled, a sweet tasty tobacco called "chimney smoke". The shop itself hales back to the former glory of the tobacco shops I remember from my youth. A wooden indian outside, pipes, tobaccos, ashtrays, lighters, and accessories crowded into a small space and yet cozy. The walls are decorated with vintage tins and advertisements. The prices for tobacco were a bit steep at $5 an ounce, but on the flip side, he had lots of nice pipes that were competitively priced. There was a super cool chimney Tsuge that I drooled over, but sadly no PAD funds were available. And the shop is in the midst of tourism gone wild, so the prices on tobacco are understandable, and to be honest I had so much fun in there shooting the breeze with the fellow behind the counter, I didn't mind the price. Their slogan states "we have been converting cigarette smokers to pipes for over 30 years" and they give a pamphlet with every purchase with that goal in mind. Here are some pics of the place.
The sign outside, by the way, this shop is in a mall

image-28_zpsd6951928.jpg

The Sampling Bar

image-28_zpse2783c85.jpg

Some pipes

image-28_zpsbf642505.jpg

image-28_zpsd0507fe2.jpg

image-28_zpsc7da6925.jpg

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It's a great place.... But, a trip in there can't be considered complete, until you go across the hall and pick up a bottle of really serious hot-sauce. :twisted:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
That looks like a fabulous place, and in a mall no less!
This type of mom and pop tobacco shop is disappearing from the US probably faster than any other retail establishment. Get there while you can.
Allan

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
A tip of my hat to those gents.....
If you would only franchise and get into every mall.... :D

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I had a very similar experience last September there; I loved the place and the folks. And I agree: Chimney Smoke is very tasty!!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
That looks like a fabulous place, and in a mall no less!
Well. . . it's not a "mall" like you're probably thinking of a mall. It's small, very rustic and log-cabiny, filled with regional retailers. It's not the kind of mall that has anchor stores or big name department stores. In a setting like that, the Gatlin-Burlier fits right in.

Status
Not open for further replies.