PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
So I did a pretty good job in May controlling the PAD; but, one of the items that I wanted to pick up was a zulu. I don't have one yet, so didn't really want to jump in the deep end on an expensive one until I knew that I really liked the shape. I found some Grabows on Ebay that looked in good enough condition, but the first couple were taken out in the heat of bidding by some snipers.
Well today I was kind of busy and couldn't perch all day waiting to defend my bid so I came up with a plan. I bid slightly over the opening bids on several pipes and hoped one would go through without being sniped at the last minute. As it would turn out, I won 4 of the auctions so am now the proud owner of a handful of zulus.
To quote the great Hannibal from the A-team- "I love it when a plan comes together"
:) To an extent my plan kind of blew up in my face, but one could argue that the end result is even better.
My wife even got a good laugh out of the "be careful what you wish for" angle, which seemed to allow the fact I purchased 6 more pipes in one day slip by.(for those that caught the math not adding up; I also came across a Stanwell and Kaywoodie I had to have while I was looking for the zulu)
:) That's it though; no more pipes 'til June.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I kept hearing such good things I just needed to have one.
I think the best part is since half of a week set is already covered it gives me a pretty easy excuse to add another three to round it out. (I think I would step it up from Grabows for the next 3 though)

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Nice! I have a Savinelli Zulu that I really like. The Zulu is a great shape and mine is a great smoker to boot. Enjoy...and no more pipes till June....hey wait, isn't today June 1st? lol :puffy:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The Zulu is a classic and classy shape. I only have 2- a GBD International and an old Jelling Naturals (made in Jersey City, NJ). I'm on the prowl for another bulldog but a Zulu will coming after that.

Enjoy yours with Happy Smoke Rings.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I only have one, a Savinelli 904 alligator, but it is a damn fine smoker.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have three zulus, an at-one-time unfinished Savenelli shape 404 that has turned golden walnut over time; a Chapuis-Comoy which has a good big bowl; and a Chacom blast, a small pipe, that is a great flake burner. I really like the dashing look of zulus, almost as if they are in motion.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I like Zulus but not enough to chase that shape to a buy. Sooner or later I'm sure I'll get one.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I like Zulus and eventually I'll get one. I have a couple Sav Dublins that are great, would like to get a Zulu. For now though, I'm enjoying smokes in smaller bowls, and unfortunately I bought a lot of large Italian shapes so mostly looking for small to medium size apples and billiards.

Status
Not open for further replies.