Well This is Annoying. Rubbing Alcohol by Prescription Only?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
A strange turn of events has me a bit annoyed. Rubbing alcohol is only available by prescription here. WTF? It's not like you can drink the stuff but you can't get it OTC. Here's hoping I don't get a cut that needs cleaning.
The history:

I just got a couple of estate pipes from a vendor which many of the pipers here laud as sending clean pipes...not the case here. They are caked up worse than the pictures show and the stems, mortises and shanks are filled with gunk. I really like the pipes so I don't mind keeping them but I do need to clean them. With that in mind I went down to the pharmacy and inquired whether I could get some alcohol for cleaning. "For hands or before injection" she asked. For cleaning a surface I said. So she brings the alcohol swabs. I said that I needed liquid and she looked at me like I had grown another head and said that it was only available through prescription.
So, apparently I'm screwed. No "drinkable" alcohol over 125 proof and no rubbing alcohol without a prescription. I might be able to get some denatured alcohol but I'm a bit leery of using that for pipes. While great for shellac, it isn't something I will readily put in my pipes at this time.
If you have a solution, I am happy to hear it but if not, I will be able to get some surgical spirits when I go to Austria later this year.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
#1 Where is here?

#2 Seems ridiculous, however I am sure any Dr. would have no issue prescribing this.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Amazon.com sells it, and ships to the lower 48 only. Ground shipping only. That would be my best bet.

Aug 1, 2012
Latvia is "here". Haven't asked my doc yet but since it would cost more than I am willing to pay (since I can get the same in another country in a few weeks without a question) I think I'll just wait. What really sucks is that I was recently in Scotland and could have picked up what I needed there with no problem.

Aug 1, 2012
99% Isopropyl Alcohol, why would you not use it in your pipes? It will totally dissipate within minutes or even seconds.
That's what comes by prescription only here.
Please don't be affronted at this assault on your personal liberty, after all they are probably only doing it FOR THE CHILDREN!
:lol:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nuts. However, I would advise people in the U.S. that sometimes non-prescription drugs can cost a lot

less when prescribed because insurance chips in. Some of the anti-acids, laxatives and such come under

this arrangement.
In Latvia, do you need a medical prescription to gas up your car? That is another volatile liquid with

safety hazards.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Now I know why my grandfather left Riga 103 years ago.
As for Scotland, if you're going to visit I've heard they have even better spirits for sale than rubbing alcohol.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
You should be able to find someone selling some 160+ proof clear spirits up there. Either legally or not.
-Jason

Aug 1, 2012
You should be able to find someone selling some 160+ proof clear spirits up there. Either legally or not.
It's a bit of the "or not" here but it can be found. I avoid the illegal because of my job if I can though. If it comes down to it, I can make my own. All I need is a few different sized pots, a stainless bowl, and a few litres of the local vodka (about $10 a liter).
I think I might have to make a bit just in case of a medical need.

bigghat

Lurker
Nov 25, 2014
Vodka is the answer. If it doesn't clean the pipe you can still drink it. No prescription needed. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.