PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I have a Kaywoodie Chinrester. It's stinger just snapped, due to unfortunate mistakes I made. (Bleach on the stem.) What is the best place to go to get a weird stem like that rebuilt? Because I will get it rebuilt, pretty much regardless of cost.
Title edit: snapped. On my mobile, not so accurate on the keyboard.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I have read on here that Tim west does a fine job with repairs and such. I hope you can find his site or at least someone else posts it.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Tim West: www.jhlowe.com

Be prepared to wait several months for the pipe to come back. I talked with Tim last week and he told me he is backed up about three months. With the current economy, people are haveing their pipes repaired rather than replacing them.

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
In my opinion, I prefer my pipes to have the stinger off, cause then it doesn't get as hot. I think.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I've got an old Wally Frank in line for a restoration with a busted off stinger, I'm just gonna drill what's of it out of the stem. I'm not suggesting you do that of course, but the Wally Frank ain't worth that much.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I'll try out that Tim West fellow. If he's backed up three months he's gotta be good.
And I still can't believe it snapped. I was putting the stem on, and it just kind of...came apart. And I looked at it for a second. And then, with disbelief put the two parts together. And then ran to the forum to ask for the help of more experienced folk. And then drank myself into oblivion.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I know that my pipes that "had" stingers are no longer perfect.

But, I always remove the stingers. I just don't like them.

I have never tried to drill them out, just pulled them out.
I think I still have one in my desk... something told me not to throw it away.

If you post a picture of your broken stinger, and they match I'll be glad to send it to you.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Did the entire metal piece come out of the stem or did the long metal part just snap off leaving the threads?
If the threaded part is still connected to the stem, you can still screw it into the shank.
If it totally came apart, I suggest when you get it repaired that you just have it converted into a push in stem instead of a screw in type. The value has dropped regardless so you may as well make an improvement to the pipe.
P.S. I HATE stingers.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Pistol Packer I don't have any choice to but to drill this one out, it broke off flush with the vulcanite, like I said...it's just an old Wally Frank.

I’m glad you said you pull them out cause I have a screw in that ends up over rotated when screwed in all the way and was wondering if I was going to ruin it by trying to turn the stem back while securing the stinger.

Are there any tricks to loosening up the stinger in the vulcanite,…heat cold etc?

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR

As you can see, the threaded portion is very much no long part of the stem.

I'm just going to leave it up to Mr. West whether to convert it into a push/pull or put another stinger on. After reading an article from G. L. Pease about his skill I think I'm better off leaving it in his obviously capable hands.
I still can't believe that I forgot that bleach oxidizes metal. But it's in the past now.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have often re-regulated stem screws by warming the stem over either a stove burner or with a heat gun. The trick is remembering which way to rotate the aluminum threads once the stem is warmed up.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Ooooh.....that must have hurt something fierce!
rotfl.gif

After some of the posts in the previous thread about soaking the stem in bleach, I am absolutely amazed that nobody else has made an offhand comment about the title of this thread!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
collin asked
I have a screw in that ends up over rotated when screwed in all the way and was wondering if I was going to ruin it by trying to turn the stem back while securing the stinger. Are there any tricks to loosening up the stinger in the vulcanite,…heat cold etc?

I had a Kaywoodie with an over rotated stinger, the same style as pictured above. In trying to re-align things I just stuck a jeweler's screwdriver in the holes of the end-ball and torqued the stinger back and forth until it was in alignment. (The stinger rotated within the stem, but remains firmly set in position.)
(Brett, you're incorrigible.)

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
To be honest, that looks like a three hole Woodie and they are a dime a dozen on eBay, the coest of repairing it would far exceed the cost of the pipe. I would just chunk it and buy a new one. Barring that, if you would give me the exact dementions of the stem at the break, I have a box full of Woodie stems and if one matches I would be happy to send it to you. I don't have that shape of stem but you can bend it with heat to that shape. Ir just let it be another shape. You don't show the bowl so I can't tell if it has to be a bent stem or not.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
It could be a straight, but this is the Chinrester's stem. I will go to any lengths to restore it.

Especially as I haven't seen any other Chinresters for sale, ever.

I appreciate the offer though.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I know how you feel. I snapped my stinger once after an incident with a ladder. It was a very painful experience but what was worse was wearing the itchy cast for 6 weeks and being called "Tent Pants" and having to stand through every class because those desks aren't condusive to sitting down while wearing a cast there. Damn cheerleaders who wouldn't otherwise talk to me kept coming up to me asking if they could sign my cast and then walked off laughing while I moaned in pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.