PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Me and the fiancé have been planning our wedding now for 7 or 8 months, happening July 25th, and I have been forced to suspend all pipe related expenses. It has been a difficult task to say the least.
We have been planning a medium sized wedding with around 100 people, maximum. The goal is to have great food, good music and a very well stocked toonie bar (for you American's that is $2 per drink in Canadian speek). This is proving to be very expensive, and getting to the point it will be a struggle to make it happen without taking on a little debit. Nonetheless, all these expenses have put a complete halt on all PAD & TAD purchases for the last 7 - 8 months.
Needless to say, this has been an enlightening experience. I have kept an eye on my favorite online retailers out of habit, but have managed to avoid any new purchases. In turn, this has given me a great opportunity to explore and get to know my current cellar and rotation better.
I have wanted to stop buying new pipes and tobacco for a while now, but have always been able to find an excuse to get just one more pipe, or a couple tins of that new blend. It was getting to the point I had more untried blends in my cellar than I had blends which I had smoked. I even had 5 new, unsmoked pipes that had yet to be taken on their maiden voyage. It was getting a little silly.
Today, I can look at all this wedding planning as a blessing in disguise, allowing me time to break in my new pipes and try some new tobaccos. We so often come to this site to share our new purchases and discuss the latest blends. I thought it would be nice to share my experience with taking time to appreciate what I have.
And by the way, outside of the expenses, this wedding planning stuff has been an absolute blast. My girl and I hold a lot of excitement towards the future.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The wedding sounds like a great collaboration and fun for you both. I've been married twice, a widower once and remarried ten years later. For me, it's the only way to live. Getting to know the pipes you already own is a fine thing. You'll bond with them better and learn more about them, smoking them more. You'll have a great wedding, just don't dive into debt too much for the long haul.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Congrats on your marriage. I find remaining married, more than getting married, is the biggest strain on my pipe fund :)
Don't even get me started on kids!
Enjoy your first years of marriage- they are awesome.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Wishing you a fantastic future. What tarak said :D There will be time for children and you will never be able to repeat your first years. Future years may be great later, but like the pipe you will both grow and change, hopefully for the best and with warm regards for each other. Children are a great influence in a home that is happy, not so much if you have a rocky start. Just my thought, truly wishing all of Gods best!

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
NorthernNeil, good luck and God bless.
I'm serious when I say I wouldn't trade my worst day of married life for the best day of single life.
I'm going to give you some unsolicited advice. Stop reading if you don't want it.
We joke a lot here about TAD and PAD.
The one thing I would do differently if I could in my life would be to avoid debt, except for maybe a house. Debts are chains that have at times greatly restricted my freedom and options.
So, start your married life off on the right financial note. Don't borrow a dime for the wedding. My wife and I had a little over a hundred guests, a friend baked the cake, some guests bought dishes, we had a wandering singing accordionist. Nothing fancy but the point is we never later wasted a second wishing we had borrowed money to buy something else for the wedding.
I just wish I had would have been as thrifty on other matters.
But again, wishing you the best.
PM me your snail mail and I'll send you a tin as a wedding present. Too bad SmokingPipes and PipesandCigars don't have a bridal registry.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
+1 to Brass. And in all seriousness, we joke about our wives around here and how the keep us from spending money- but I'd give up all my pipes right now for mine. She's worth far more than a chunk of wood and rotting leaves.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Thanks for the well wishes guys. I really appreciate it. Also, I hear you concerning debt and avoiding it. I am a stickler when it comes to my finances, so I already have a game plan in place to ensure everything is paid off in 4 months.
Again, thanks all for the advise and well wishes.

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Very best wishes to you and yours, northernneil! This is a very heartwarming thread, and I agree with those who had wonderful things to write about marriage.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
It is good to step away when the most important things in life require it. No regrets, life. God Speed and God Bless to you both and here is to a long and happy marriage.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
....and be sure to take a bag of cobs and some good tobacco to share if it's an outdoor reception- did that at my nieces wedding and we had 10 people including the bride sitting around smoking pipes...:)

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Well if ever there was a good reason to put PAD/TAD on hold getting married would be one.

Wishing you both all the best. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Congrats on your upcoming wedding. PAD and TAD can be a big problem in a relationship and no pipe or tin is worth that. It sounds like you have your priorities straight and the plan to pay everything off in 4 months is very smart. Have a grea time and cherish every moment.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Best of luck to you and your bride, Neil.
It's a rare guy who enjoys the planning and that's grace right there.
Fnord

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Congrats and best wishes for you!

Forget about the pipes for now. They will still be there. You will have a bright long future with kids and then grandkids hanging out with you and thinking how cool you are because you smoke a pipe and wanting to hear about the good old days. And no doubt you will have many many more pipes.
Where abouts in Canada?

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Calgary is a very nice area.

I'm in Los Angeles, but my mother's side are French Canadians going back to 17th c. Quebec. Family still in Montreal and Trois-Rivières. My wife is Canadian from Hamilton, Ontario. Her whole family is in the Hamilton / Dundas area.

Nice country, but bloody cold in the winter, even in the spring!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.