We Really Do Like Our Cousins To The South...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
For those of you who haven't seen this, here is what happened when the mic went out during the singing of the Star Spangled Banner at a Toronto Maple Leafs' home game this week.
http://youtu.be/mHSaHRd4Q48
-- Pat

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Very nice but I'm sure there were a significant number of U.S. citizens in the stands since Toronto and Detroit really have to be considered Twin Cities. If it was a Maple Leaf/Redwings game then it becomes even more likely that most of the crowd would know the SSB. If it had been a Canadiens game in Montreal this scene would have been far harder to repeat.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Oh, my. I'm touched - and proud of our Canadian neighbors.
For those of us who don't know the lyrics for our sister countries anthem, here is the Official English and the Official French version
O Canada!

Our home and native land!

True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,

The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

Ô Canada!

Terre de nos aïeux,

Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!

Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,

Il sait porter la croix!

Ton histoire est une épopée

Des plus brillants exploits.

Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,

Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.
And here is the YouTube audio with Lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZtfphBDp-w

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
@Darwin - As a transplanted Michigander (moved to Toronto in 1986) I have to contest the following statements...
Very nice but I'm sure there were a significant number of U.S. citizens in the stands since Toronto and Detroit really have to be considered Twin Cities. If it was a Maple Leaf/Redwings game then it becomes even more likely that most of the crowd would know the SSB.
Toronto and Detroit are VERY FAR from twin cities; in every sense of the word.

- The cities are 231 miles away from each other.

- The cities each have their own NHL, NBA, and MLB baseball teams.

- The cities have completely disparate and diverse economies and population bases.
As to there being a high number of Americans in the stands... while that's possible, it isn't because there were a high number of Predators fans in the audience. Maple Leafs tickets are NOTORIOUSLY hard to come by due to the exceedingly high number of season's tickets sold.
I think, more realistically, we just have a higher awareness of things US than many Americans do of things Canada. You guys are like the big brother who lives next door, it is really important that we know what you are up to, what makes you tick, and how to stay friends with you. We've got your back.
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I would venture to say there is more chance that you would have Buffalonians at a Toronto game than Detroiters.
Not this week! :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ-8gMWqy4s
-- Pat

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
That's not the Canadian National anthem...
This is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVY8LoM47xI
And 30 years later, his son Nathan...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnjyaWcti3U

Dec 24, 2012
Very cool.
Maple Leafs tickets are NOTORIOUSLY hard to come by due to the exceedingly high number of season's tickets sold.
THIS. Maple Leaf season tickets are handed down from generation to generation, and in fact, even a place on the waiting list to get season tickets is also often handed down from generation to generation. Some US folks may have made the trip to watch the Predators (!) but they would have paid an arm and a leg for tickets if they did.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'm a Habs fan and there is a deep seated hated between Leafs and and Habs fans dating back to the very first recorded hockey game that the Habs won but even I have to tip my hat to that. I still remember our brother to the south flying the maple leaf upside down at the world series and no Americans caught the mistake. Even better was a few years ago the women's hockey teams were meeting for the gold medal game and the American team had a Canadian flag on the floor of the locker room to remember who they were facing. After Canada won Hayley Wickenheiser, a forward on the Canadian team, offer to come and sign it for the Yanks. lol

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I saved a copy of the Canadian Anthem to my phone, it would be nice to be able to sing along at our Coyotes games when it is played.
That's awesome. Nicely done Trailboss!
I still remember our brother to the south flying the maple leaf upside down at the world series and no Americans caught the mistake.
I was at university in Colorado when that debacle happened, you should have seen how embarrassed my yank friends were. If they could have crawled under the rug they might have.
-- Pat

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I remember radio programs that delivered information in both French and English. Those French guys had such a nasally tone. You could hear French radio in northern New England all the time.

My Grandparents were from Canada and had emigrated.

English speaking Canadians (non-Quebecois) all tend to sound similar to Minnesotans. oot/out aboot/about, eh?

So many hugely talented Canadian comedians! I love the Canadian sense of the droll.

I used to love to buy halvah at the Kensington Market.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Toronto and Detroit are VERY FAR from twin cities; in every sense of the word.
Amen. I'm a Detroiter. Although travel between the two cities is not difficult, they are very different cities. The hardest part is getting back into the States. I don't need a passport to get into Canada - I need one to come home. Screw that.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'd to thank our northern neighbors for their contribution to the arts. Well except for Alan Thicke of course. Hank Snow was a valuable contribution. Lorne Greene was an icon. There are many, too many to list, who came south and brightened the US stage and screen.
Then there is the "curved stick." Thank you Bobby and Stan! Those two made the latter part of my goalie career miserable! Just, really "freakin" miserable! I can't tell you how disconcerting it was to have a speeding hockey dipping, climbing and curving as it speeds towards the net. Miserable, I tell you! But, I don't want to obsess on this. But, the curved stick really changed the game. Thanks Canada! There's no emoticon with teeth missing or I'd insert it here.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
My wife is from Canada and we go to visit every two years or so. I always enjoy it. Clean cities, nice people, beautiful scenery (ie-Canadian Rockies....wow!). This video says a lot about Canadians. Hits it right on the head.
Woodsroad - Stan Rogers is phenomenal! One of my absolute favorites! My brother-in-law moved from New Brunswick to Alberta. He is living the "idiot" life!

Status
Not open for further replies.