PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
The best wax to use on a briar pipe is Carnauba Wax. It is the most durable of the waxes that can be used and with a buffer, will bring a real shine to your pipe.
However, I have found a number of things that members might want to know about the properties of the wax and some of the results or ill effects.
Carauba wax, also called Brazil wax and palm wax, is a wax of the leaves of a palm native to and grown only in the northeastern parts of Brazil.
Some of it's uses are quite common eg.added in parts to car wax, furniture/wood polish, surfboard wax and even as a shinny finish to sweets (candy) such as Tic-Tacs and Gob-Stoppers.
When using it for pipes, I have often found that if the speed of the buffer is too high, it melts the wax and bunches it in long lines. You can start off with a medium speed (approx 1500-1800 rpm) to get the wax on, but to bring the deep glossy shine you need to drop the speed down to around 1000-1500rpm. At the higher speeds the shine will look dull, so just turn down the speed of the buffer.
I have also found that no matter how hard you try, you get a build up of wax in any makers mark or stampings on the stummel. The way to get rid of this, and also to aid the wax in absorbing itself into the briar is to rough buff the pipe to start (to get a reasonable coat over the whole pipe) and then place in an oven at no more than 100 degrees Centigrade for about 15 minutes. Since Carnauba melts at about 82-86 degrees C, this will melt the wax that gets into the makers stamps etc.
Take the pipe out after the 15 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature being careful not to put prints on the surface of the Briar. Once it has cooled down then buff at the lower speed and VOILA, one shiney pipe.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Nice chunk of info Mark. That's pretty much how I use the stuff -- and to good effect.

Rather than place the stummel in the oven, I use a blow dryer on a lower setting.

I find it to be a quick method of smoothing.
Right now I'm using carnauba wax. But one of these days I'm going to try Paragon Wax.

I think you will find their product description interesting.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
Paragon works great on smooth pipes, for blasts and rustics use Halcyon II. You can get both in either 1 oz. or 8 oz. sizes direct from the maker:
http://www.finepipes.com/accessories?&sort=20a&page=2

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
IMO - Paragon is good if you don't have a buffing wheel...but it doesn't compare to carnauba and a buffing wheel.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Bubba ! Scrounge an old motor, an arbor and pick up a couple of buffing wheels I think i have ten bucks invested in mine.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I just wax my pipes at the same time as I wax my car. Just tape your pipes by the stems to the hood to hold them still. Still, some times a pipe squirts out from under my Turtle Wax buffer.
All kidding aside, arthur is right, an old buffer or even a new cheap one is the best way to go. If you are concerned about speed, and you should be, wire it to a dimmer switch. A buffer or two should be in every collectors workshop. I have a baldor buffer at 1700 rpm for putting on carnuba and a polishing cloth for taking off the excess (you get to go Mr. Miyagi) and an old grinder with one wheel replaced with a stiff wheel for Tripoli for stems. Put some old pillows on the floor under the buffer since you will launch a pipe or ten learning to let the wheel do the work, not the pressure.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Myst is right! The flying pipe trick is a real bummer . I learned buffer safety making knives. Nothing like having the buffer grab a blade and stick it in the far wall.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Here is my setup at home in the garage.
It is simply a variable speed drill fixed to a horizontal hobby clamp. I use 100mm or 75mm Cloth Buffers, green and red tripoli and carnauba wax. There is also a scotchbrite buffing wheel there too.
It's a fairly easy setup, and all of the parts can be sourced very easily and for a low price. No need for bulky and expensive buffing wheels.
DSCF0002.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.