PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I just purchased this pipe. I liked its look.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/united-states/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=207598
All I know about Wathen is what Pipedia has: he carved for The Briar Patch in Kansas in the 70s, moved to another shop after '77 when The Briar Patch closed, stopped in 1980-1981, and passed away in 1985. I've seen an old thread here with photos of his apparently favorite shape, a giant calabash, some smoother and more rounded Danish-looking freehands, a straight Canadian with a spiral shank, and some bridge pipes with thumb holes.
Does anybody know if his pipes are uncommon? Rare? What was his approximate production? Is $135 a fair price? (Not that I ever expect an unfair price from smokingpipes.com, but I mean as compared to a really good deal) Dated '76, so in his Briar Patch years. (I also have a William Craig freehand pipe, another pipe carver who worked out of a single-location tobacconist, and there's even less info out there about his work!)
I had some money to pick up a pipe, had my eye on an antique meerschaum on eBay nobody seemed to be paying attention to, but when it suddenly began climbing, I did my occasional poke through smokingpipes.com; I usually collect meers, but have a couple of unusual briars, though nothing in a Danish-like freehand shape, which I do tend to like. This odd chunk of briar jumped out at me. Usually, when I see pipes on this site, I hem and haw about them, keep checking back and thinking, and before I know it, my indecisiveness has let it be snapped up by someone else.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
You did OK.
I met Kerry a few times on the job, but didn't know him outside of it. Seemed like a nice enough guy. Back then being a pipe maker was REALLY rare and unusual, so definitely attracted people who marched to their own drummer.
I only know one serious Wathen collector, and he loves the things. Says they smoke great.
Not sure how many he made in total. Surely less than a couple thousand, but probably more than 500.
Enjoy! :D

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Thanks! He sat in the shop and carved, as I understand? One reason I liked it (after looking up Wathen; I liked it already without knowing any history) was exactly that: it's from an era when American solo pipe makers were few and far between, and he apparently carved out of, AND sold from, only those two shops.
Is this Wathen collector a forum member?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For an artisanal pipe by a known carver who is deceased, that is rather striking in design and apparently in excellent shape, I'd say the price was probably pretty good, more than fair. Thanks to ebay and other online sales, the "market" is pretty flighty. Even among people who know pipes, I think particular ones go in and out of fashion, as with visual art, antique furniture, etc. Many more ordinary pipes that have nothing distinctive about them go for that.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Is this Wathen collector a forum member?
Not that I know of. His name is Lyn Beyer, and he's the owner of this shop in Kansas City:
http://cigarandtabacltd.com/

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Jonas:
You got a beautiful pipe by a known carver during the "Danish comes to the US" period.
I think it's beautiful. But, full disclosure, I'm prejudiced as hell. I've got several Nordings and a handful of Preben Holmes Ben Wades.
Fnord

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Thanks, fnord. I've admired many Preben Holms and Ben Wades. Seen a few I loved by Age Bogelund; got photos of one which was cut out of a larger piece of plateau, with the remainder being lined with felt to make a slide-in pipe stand!
Georged, I'll drop him a line.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
The pipe arrived today. Smells like it had very traditional tobacco in it, English of some sort. Light as a feather. Gorgeous sandblast, except on the back panel of the shank which has a flowing hand-made "Wathen" sig and "76." Fits nicely in my hand. Clear stem, Lucite, strikingly pretty (I like the British trade name for acrylic, "Perspex," for these stems). Bowl is not very deep. Draw is open. The way the bowl's front panel is curved makes it fit very well in my left hand, which feels interesting since I usually hold pipes in my right, so it might be easier to hold while writing or drawing.
Thanks for all the thoughts and commentary!

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Georged, I called the shop you pointed me to. The person I spoke with says the owner rarely comes in, he can't give me any other contact info, and he has no idea how I could contact Mr. Beyer. Any advice? Their website has the phone number I called, but no email or other contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.