PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
My local B&M has a large number of of 'store blends' available. I haven't tried any of them previously, but when I stopped in the other day to pick up some cleaners and other necessaries, I grabbed a pouch of 497 (which is their street address). Why? It's an aromatic flavored with grape and scotch whiskey. Yeah, that's right, grapes and scotch. Curiosity got the better of me and I was thinking "how can this possibly be any good?"
Well, it ain't bad to be honest. It's a VA, burley, Cavendish based tobacco and when opening the pouch you can definitely smell the grape and also the scotch, though the scotch seemed somewhat subdued to me. There was VA grassiness in there too.
Initial light I got some nuttiness and sweetness. The sweet taste lasted throughout the smoke, the nuttiness seemed to come and go. I'm not sure if the sweet is from the toppings or the VA, but it's not overwhelming. Quite nice in fact. The scotch taste is there, but very subdued. Comes across as just a slight smokiness that might make you think there is some Latakia in the blend, which there is not. I didn't get any of the grape taste at all until near the end of the bowl, then it came in quite clearly.
I also noticed a sort of odd whiff of mustiness now and then. It wasn't unpleasant, but I've not noticed it in any other blends I've smoked so I'm not sure where it comes from.
Nicotine strength is very mild and the room note is quite pleasant. I was very surprised by the blend. I was expecting sweet goopy grape soda spike with scotch, but that isn't what this is at all.
All in all a decent smoke 3 out of 4 stars I'd say. It's the way I like my aromatics, tobacco flavor predominates and the added flavorings acting as an accent. Worth a shot; you can get it from the Watch City Cigar website.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Based on your comments you might be a candidate for C&D's Capt. Bob's Blend. I've never tried it. The thought of grape and scotch just doesn't ring right for this scotch drinker but I'm glad that it works for you.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Scotch drinker here as well. While there are single malts that are rather oily and can taste a bit like a dry wine, I would think Scotch & grapes to be an odd combination in an aro tobacco. Glad you enjoy it though!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you like tobacco forward aromatics where the flavoring is an accent and not predominant,

you might also like Edward G. Robinson. Another really interesting blend, and a real old timer,

that is almost English but adds a little flavoring is Iwan Ries Three Star Blue.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions guys. EGR is on my to try list. It kind of gets ripped on tobaccoreviews.com but I know it's popular here, at least with jiminks it is.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I've been to Watch City Cigar multiple times. Their Old Black Magic (I believe that is the name) is pretty subpar. I bought a little 2 oz brick of it- It was so dry and brittle it almost was like smoking ash- tasteless. They do have a nice assortment of tins although they are marked up from online shops quite a bit. I wish they had a smoking lounge of some sort there...Looking for a pipe club in the Worcester Area. I have also tried the Bada Bing which is a cherry aro and their Vanilla aro called Erueka. They were OK, but I'm not an aro smoker

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I remember and episode of "How I met your Mother" where Barney to prove some point ordered the cheapest scotch in the bar and it was a grape flavored scotch. Maybe they got the idea from there? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.