PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
But finally decided on the General Pipe Discussion category.... On this day in 1945, one of the fiercest battles of World War II came to an end. Along with Army pilots and Navy Seabees, Marines with 5th Pioneer Battalion and 28th Marine Regiment held off the final Japanese attack of the Battle of Iwo Jima.

I knew two Marine pipe smokers who were there, and had plenty of words of wisdom for me in '71.

One was GySgt.John Moore. He took 4 corncobs aboard ship and made it ashore with two. They were both soaking wet and unsmokable until the third day or so. The best part of his story was about his tobacco. Prince Albert, 9 cans. He rolled it in cigarette papers he took off a dead "jap" until he could smoke his pipe. He said the salt water actually enhanced his smoke.

The other, MGySgt.Tony Hinds. He took three clay pipes, said he broke off the stems to 2 or 3 inches because he knew the 14" stems would never make it in his pack. He smoked Bull Durham tobacco from a cotton bag. He had several bags in his mess kit that he sealed with rifle grease to keep dry and it worked. He told me the big problem was a lite! His words, "No Damn matches, no damn nothing until we had a fire one night, then I took a burning ember and put it in my pipe" "Finally!"

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Great story tdog! I'm third generation military in my family. My granddad fought at Guadalcanal as a combat engineer in ww2. My dad was a medic in the Army during Viet Nam (stateside). I served in the USAF '89-93.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Topd is a straight-up hero. He has so many medals on his home page my eyes were blinded.
Thank you for the story, and thank you, good sir, for your service!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Topd is a straight-up hero. He has so many medals on his home page my eyes were blinded.
Thank you for the story, and thank you, good sir, for your service!
+100
Thank you for your service to our country, my family, and me.

:puffy:

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Bad ass. I think next time me and my friends celebrate festivus I shall light up a pipe with an ember in your honor.
That's badass.
And Thank You for your service.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Hey! I'm a Marine.... I've got lots of bullshit stories HaHaaa! I'll try to woop one up every once in a while. I have to take time and thank lawrence, maineyachtie, spartan, herbinedave, bentmike, irish2fish and adam12 for their wonderful comments! Through private communication I've found some have military backgrounds themselves or by family, and I'm just stunned!

Pipe smoking has been around since about 1492 I guess, when Columbus found out about tobacco here in America! Just one more reason to be proud of this country and be willing to fight for it! But By God I'll do it with a pipe clinched between my teeth!
TopD

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I remember seeing those bags of tobacco when I was a little fella.(Over 60 years ago)They were cloth bags about the size of todays cigarette packs.They had draw strings to keep them closed.They didn't always stay closed though.It wasn't hard to lose tobacco out of the bag.I'm sure that some folks smoked the tobacco in pipes,but just about all the folks that I saw with the bags rolled the tobacco in papers and smoked it as cigarettes.When machine made cigarettes came out those bags of tobacco pretty much faded away.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
That's right puffy.... Just like the little string with a sticker you saw hanging out of Randolph Scott's pocket... or any of those other cowboys.... John Wayne even rolled a Bull Durham when he couldn't get a Lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.