PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I have an old, dirty Barling pipe sock that I would like to wash so it can be used. The sock appears to be a light cotton canvas with a flannel lining. The nomenclature appears to be screen printed. Can this be washed in a washing machine on a gentle cycle? I would be using an HE machine and some leftover Dreft detergent (gentle enough for baby clothes, gentle enough for a pipe sock, I hope).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd say: not a chance. I would buy some Woolite and handwash in a small sink. That screen print won't last long in a washer.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
ssjones, Thanks for the warning. I had suspected that machine washing was a bad idea. The soiling is pretty much all at the opening and flap, so I should be able to hand scrub while keeping away from the screen print. The only bit that might suffer is the "Printed in England" on the lip of the opening.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Thanks sablebrush52. After brief experimentation with the Woolite approach I think I had better see what a dry cleaner can suggest. There was little to harm in trying the Woolite approach - the "Printed in England" looks fainter, but that may be because of the wet fabric is darker (whatever the case that area was very dirty) - but I think a dry cleaner may be able to safely minimize or remove the stains.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
By the way, I will post a picture as soon as my camera battery is charged.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Here is the sock prior to cleaning. I think the "Printed in England" all but disappeared with the crud. I am glad I stopped before I got too far behind.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
sablebrush52, I hope you are not going to tell me I have done a very bad thing.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That bad, eh?
I am hoping the dry cleaner can finish the job without further harm to the printing. If they have reservations, I will leave the sock as is. It is the first of that design I have seen, and is in better shape than some others I bought in a boxes and socks lot .

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some knowledgeable feedback here, which I can't provide, but with most things that have serious wear, when you're trying to preserve

their value, better to leave them alone rather than process them in any way. Antique dealers always look in horror at any improvements

that aren't professionally recommended. With this sock, the wear is part of the historical value, I suspect.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I keep original socks in a drawer, and use aftermarket leather ones when I take my pipes out of the house.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
mso489, Point taken. I had not thought of soiling as wear, but you may well be correct. In its current condition, the pipe sock still has soiling, and the main Barling image is just as intact as before I started.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
chasingembers, I am beginning to think that may be the route for this sock.

Status
Not open for further replies.