PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
After reading a recent thread about Revor Plug subs, I started wondering about Warrior. I've always found the descriptions of this baccy intriguing, and wonder if there is a (easily available in the US) substitute that will have a similar taste/nicotine/burning characteristics profile. I would love to travel to Ireland someday and pick some up, but this is a long way off. What tobacco can I try that would be similar?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
You can still order Warrior from James Fox in Dublin. They are wonderful people and very prompt with delivery to the USA. With the euro hovering at US$1.06 this is a good time to order.

As for a reasonable substitute? I also smoke Peterson Perfect Plug and find it to be a close cousin and very available here.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
I tried some 3Ps years ago. Did not realize it was such a close match. Thanks for the info guys!

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
just ordered some from Stan. Can't wait to try this plug. Now I just need to try McQuaid and Cotton Bol to complete my recent plug quest

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Salty Dogs from Dan Tobacco is somewhat similar to Mick Mc,you may find it easier to get hold of than Mick,mackeson.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Davet I tried it when it came out and felt it was a bit young. I would imagine a bit of age would improve it though.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Well, I checked the James Fox site last night thinking I'd make a buy with the euro at $1.06. Sadly, Warrior is now gone along with Velvan. There is still Mick McQuaid listed as in stock and Yachtsman.

I did get a bunch of Salty Dog a while back so I'm good for a while.

Regarding 3P's; it's a very fine smoke but jar it once you open it. I left the plug in the can and it dried out to the point where it was nearly impossible to slice and when it did it turned to dust. Lesson learned for me.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Warrior Plug always reminded me of the smell of a bathroom medicine cabinet (kind of minty, kind of medicinal). The underlying tobaccos in 3Ps are very similar to Warrior, so I recommend adding a bit of toothpaste a splash of old cologne to the 3Ps and you've basically got your Warrior Plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.