PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2018
England
Hello,

I've been reading the forum for about 18 months and I didn't want to post until I had something of worth to say, anyway this is for the attention of pipers in the U.K. I have noticed that mysmokingshop.co.uk and GQ Tobaccos have both removed warrior plug from there listings, not out of stock but removed all together, turmeaus.co.uk and thebackyshop.co.uk both still have it in stock. Now I could be wrong and I don't want to cause a buying panic but after what has happened to velvan, erinmore and Mick Mcquaid plugs I thought I would point out what I had noticed so others can stock up if they so wish. Also I don't know if anyone has mentioned this and if they have i'm sorry for repeating but mysmokingshop.co.uk and GQ Tobaccos both have recently got in some Samuel Gawith St James plug so if like me you like your plugs then I hope this info is of some use.

Chris.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Further reading.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/warrior-plug-possible-demise-of

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm afraid it's old and sad news. Peterson Perfect Plug is still available and a worthy smoke. I did stock up on Warrior, Velvan and Mick McQuaid before their demise.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Fair enough, from what I read people seemed a little unsure of its future but not definite that it was being discontinued, I noticed a couple of weeks ago that it had been de listed at 2 places I buy from so I stocked up with as much as I could afford, at least 2 places still have some so if it's one you like this seems like the last chance to get some, I don't know how long Warrior has been around but it's a crying shame to see another pipe tobacco being discontinued, especially such a good one.

Chris.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Yes, it is a shame when we lose a beloved tobacco. I'm trying the "new" Condor plug which is now being made in Poland. Long time Condor smokers are not very happy with it. I'll reserve judgement until I have at least several more bowls.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I have not tried condor plug or mixture yet but I do hope to in the future, I haven't tried any Lakeland flavour blends yet, sadly I also never got to try Velvan, Erinmore, Mick Mcquaid or yachtsman which I think all disappeared in the recent past, I have only been smoking a pipe for about 18 months and by the time I realised what wonderful things plugs can be all that was left was Warrior & Yachtsman and sadly they discontinued yachtsman before I had the necessary funds to buy. Luckily I have been able to try a good few of the ones available, I really like PPP, Warrior and Revor and I've also found anything that I like as a flake is even better as a plug, FVP, Kendal plug and St James plug I find are all better than the flake version, I don't know why exactly, I think preparing it to your own specification is a part of it but also the flavour & strength why being similar to the flake version just seem to be 'more' in all departments

I also tend to find the level of wetness with the Samuel Gawith plugs is much more to my liking with less drying time needed, now given the choice I will buy the plug version over the flake every time.

Chris.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Why is that, Paulie? I think MacBaren makes it, so the chances of it sticking around would be greater.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Blends have always come and gone, but right now discontinuing blends feel like an ominous trend. It seems like it will be much more expensive to revive old blends in the future. Right now, though, we still seem to be in a golden age of pipe tobacco blending, with perhaps more available blends in more different cuts than previously in history; is that not true?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Dear Mr.JimInks,well I could be wrong with my assumption, and yes I do agree on what you have said about its being produced by Barens,Thats a very good sign indeed when Mc Baren taking care of the production, nonetheless I think hardly any of those newer pipers in England would consider this being appealing blend to them,in all probability They'd rather choose something more contemporary and better-known alternatives such as University flake by Peterson,but as far as I'm concerned, I do like these kinds of 'everyman honest and simpler blends popular back in the 70ies.So to say I'm intended to follow to those traditions,I'm happily leaving so-called Estorica blends to more refined smokers that I consider being myself.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
3Ps is my go to plug tobacco. Don’t get me wrong I love JKnife plug and Triple Play but 3Ps is my favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.