PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
First, thanks to Flaky for agreeing to an 'across the pond' tobacco swap. His delicious care package arrived with a wonderful variety of tobaccos that are impossible to find locally. The first two tobaccos which I tried from this group of samples were the aforementioned Warrior Plug & Revor Plug.
This was my first experience with plugs, and after some back and forth with Flaky on how to prep them I followed this process:
a) Place plug shiny side up on a cutting board/surface

b) Grip the plug firmly

c) With a sharp and sturdy knife slice across the grain to produce fine flakes or shavings (I opted for flakes about 1mm or so thick)

d) Rub out the tobacco completely

e) Allow the tobacco to dry for about 15 minutes

f) Pack the bowl firmly (as per rubbed out flake)
Here are my thoughts on both tobaccos.
Warrior Plug - Murray Sons & Co. Ltd.

This plug is dense, with a dark brown to black colour flecked sparsely with brown. The aroma of the plug is sweet and intense, with deep plum and prune notes and big caramelized sugar character. I don't know when this plug was originally opened, but it was still slightly elastic to the touch and sliced easily (I used a curved Japanese wood carving knife... freakishly sharp). Rubbing out and a 15 minute drying window before packing provided a consistent and long burning smoke. This tobacco is a much more mellow smoke (from a flavour and aroma perspective) than I anticipated based on the aroma. The fruit note is present for most of the bowl, but is muted, and the sweet caramelized sugar character takes over (almost a molasses-like sweetness). I smoked this plug in a clean meerschaum pipe.
Revor Plug - Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.

This plug is also dense, and has a shiny/glossy black appearance. While the Revor Plug appears to be slightly dryer than the Warrior Plug sample, it did slice easily, and I rubbed it out and allowed it to stand for the requisite 15 minutes. The aroma on the plug is also sweet, but more in the cocoa/carob spicy sweet camp than the fruitier (to my nose) Warrior Plug. There is also a perfume-like quality to this tobacco which I can't quite put my finger on, but this dissipates almost immediately on lighting. This plug also packed easily and produced a lingering, well burning, smoke. Once lit and burning well the smoke stays sweet and those deep sweets continue to come through but without being overpowering. The Kentucky in this blend does come through loud and clear. I smoked this plug in a brand new cob.
I have to say, that I was surprised with both of these tobaccos. Based on appearance and aroma I expected the flavours to be intense and bold. Both plugs afforded very even, mellow and approachable smokes. The intense aromas melded in both tobaccos to form a pleasing and uniform flavour profile. Bite was not an issue with either tobacco. I will say that both delivered a goodly nicotine boost, and should not be considered if nicotine sends your head spinning.
I'd love to hear from you folks who have more experience with these 'baccys... How'd I do with my review? Is this consistent with your experience?
I would highly recommend both tobaccos.
Cheers,
Pat

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I just got my first sample of Revor Plug in a similar trade and I'm looking forward to trying it. I keep meaning to reach for some of the British tobaccos he sent but somehow Condor Long Cut keeps ending up in my pipe.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Great reviews, Pruss. For some reason plugs seem to be the dominant OTC type in the Irish market: Warrior, Condor, Yachtsman, Erinmore, Mick McQuaid, Velvan.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Pruss, I'm glad you enjoyed them and thanks for two excellent reviews.
Warrior is a wonderful, and very old, Irish tobacco. You are absolutely right about its 'fruity' note, which I love and something akin to the original St Bruno and Walnut flakes. Without preempting your thoughts on McQuaid's Plug (also Irish) there are real similarities in this regard.
IMO Revor Plug is an entirely different proposition. It is indeed Kentucky Va, but its exact method of production (full flue-cured) is something of a mystery. I agree with all you say, but to me this tobacco has an additional quality of 'coal tar' and 'well-grilled steak', comparable to some of the black ropes - but gentler. Revor is my favourite plug of all time!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
to me this tobacco has an additional quality of 'coal tar' and 'well-grilled steak'
Flaky, I can see why those flavours popped for you... I think these notes came across to me as a heavy caramelized (approaching blackened) sweet. The well grilled steak analogy works best for me.
I can't wait to jump into the Walnut and Irish Slices next.
Best,
-- Pat

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I could smell the aroma from across the room and it was very nice indeed! I think it would knock my wimpy behind for a loop however, so I'll stick to sitting beside you and enjoying the smell when you light one up next.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Great review Pat. While I have never tried these before I think your description will make me hunt for them.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Excellent next choices, Pat. I have previously posted a review on Irish Slices "Blast From My Past". Suggest you DON'T read it before smoking - please let us know what you think of them (Walnut Flake was my late dad's favourite).

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Thanks for the review, I am intrigued by many of the tobaccos we cannot get here in the states. My brother is in London this week, maybe I can get him to pick me up a bit of that plug.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I have some Mick McQuaid's Plug I've been working my way through. It's got what I think is top note of brandy or possibly amaretto (it has a little hint of that cherry/almond/marzipan aroma). Very smooth, nice sweetness, strong but not overwhelming. Definitely needs to be dried out before smoking. FWIW, I cube cut it.
Your review makes me want to give Warrior a try if I can get it.

May 31, 2012
Excellent review pruss, right on the nose about the Warrior Plug, it's one of my favorites.
The deep dark fruit notes you found is what I find too, along with the sweet caramelized sugar character, which carry a mellow depth that rewards with a very smooth smoke. For me, it's satisfaction guaranteed, it amazes me how fairly full-bodied it is, but doesn't do it with brute force, it's the most subtle expression of fullness I've found.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
GREAT reviews, pruss. I'm busy with other things at the moment (Pipeworks and Wilke blends are on the way), but I have to try these classic British tobaccos. I love strong tobaccos and I love the smoothness of the Lakeland flakes -- these plugs sound like they're from a similar mold.
Side note -- is Mr. Snuff the only way to get these stateside?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks for the review, Pruss. I just broke out my last partial chunk of Warrior Plug and fired it up. Very similar to what you mentioned. Haven't tried the Revor Plug yet. Someday I hope.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Great review Pat. I don't know if you have the packaging of the Warrior Plug to hand, but it says on it that it has a Spicy Plum aroma - so you have hit the nail on the head with your description. I was really taken the first time I smoked this. A great tobacco, and originally from my home town, so that makes it all the more appealing.
I would agree with the Revor description as well. The "burnt steak" flavour being the most prominent to me. The one thing I would add is that I have found Revor to be one of the coolest and driest smoking tobaccos I have ever had.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks everyone for the comments on my review. I'm an amateur tobacco reviewer (to say the least) who's trying to get better, so I appreciate your feedback.
Alan, I don't have the original packaging for either plug, so I'm just reporting what I noted. I am a coffee & tea buyer by trade, so do a fair bit of sensory work and flavour description for finished blends. So I'm just calling these as I smell and taste 'em. I'm hopeful that my skills in coffee & tea sensory translate to tobacco.
Thanks Roth for finding us a distributor who will sell to the US. Although I think a trip to Ireland and Scotland might be a more fun way to collect specimens for the cellar.
GTA Pipers, I have a couple more bowls of each kicking around. If we can figure out how to get a Burner going before Christmas, you guys have a fair chance of trying these for yourselves.
EDIT -- I should note that I entirely agree with the comments above about how cool and dry these smokes are. I also couldn't believe just how easy smoking these plugs were. When I first saw them I was intimidated, but they were delightful smokes, both.
Cheers,
-- Pat

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Thanks Roth for finding us a distributor who will sell to the US. Although I think a trip to Ireland and Scotland might be a more fun way to collect specimens for the cellar.
Right On Pat - see you here mate!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pruss, good reviews, and a good primer on approaching plugs for the first time. It makes me want to learn more

and enjoy more plugs.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Great review and thank you! They put up with some pretty bad tax rates on the other side of the pond but they do have some of the best tobacco it seems. Would love to see plugs as OTCs here.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm fascinated by pressed tobacco and often yearn to smoke those that I can't get in the US. You know, the grass is always greener thing. In the end I hold off, not wanting to pay the high taxes.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Fine classic British and Irish plugs. Because they are so tightly pressed, the flavours continue to meld and change over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.