PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
After 3 months on the pioe and 1 full month with nary a cigarette I have a question for all vitamin n addicts.
Do you need the pipe at certain times, similar to cravings for cigs or are you all mainly smoking out of habit or only when you have the time to enjoy the quiet and a full bowl?

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I do it when I have the time. As the weather warms up and calms down I love sitting outside in the morning with my coffee and after the weekly mow and getting the mail and...
Seriously though, I'm not addicted to nicotine.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I was very surprised by this: I was a cigarette smoker when I went back to the pipe after many years and somehow it got me off cigarettes completely and away from the nicotine cravings. I just hate the taste of cigarettes now and don't crave nicotine anymore.

I will admit it. I know that people hate to hear this on here. But, I need the pipe. I want it too, but I can feel the pull to the pipe every moment I am away from it.
I do not inhale either. I did when I was first quitting cigarettes, but its been way over a year since I've inhaled. Now, I would cough my head off if I tried to inhale. The nicotine just moves through the skin in the mouth, just like snuff or chewing tobacco. (Not that stuff English people call snuff, but Skoal, etc...). I can go a day or even a week without. It's uncomfortable, but possible. Eventually the addiction chisels away at my will and builds an overpowering draw to the pipe. It's all I can think about until I get that thing lit.
Some may not be addicted; however, I find it hard to believe. But, we're all different.
If I didn't need it, I would just put it down and walk away. Sure, it's enjoyable, but is it good enough to deal with people's opinions of disgust, lawmakers, constantly buying tobaccos, pipes, taxes, etc...
I'm not knocking the hobby. I am just being totally honest with myself.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Need or want? I would say I want my pipe. I do not need it to relax or to have a good day. I do not feel as if something is wrong if I don't smoke my pipe. I generally do not smoke my pipe in the winter because it is just to damn cold. So I tend to smoke in the spring, summer, and early fall. Sounds like I get to smoke a lot but living in Minnesota the spring lasts about 4 days, the summer about 2 months and the fall is really the winter but the word itself lets me pretend we have four seasons. I enjoy my pipe and get great satisfaction out of smoking it. However to be honest if 25 years from now I "need" my pipe I am actually alright with this. To each there own. Live how you want.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I used to smoke ciggies and did so for almost 20 years, I quit cold turkey around 6 - 7 months ago. I started smoking a pipe 3 - 4 months ago and I will not get addicted to nicotine again! I've had enough of sitting in a cold garage or sheltering from the rain trying to get a nicotine hit.
I rarely smoke consecutive days and often go several days between pipes, I intend to enjoy the hobby of pipe smoking on my terms. Which means enjoying a pipe when I have time and can sit in the sun not rushing because I have 10 minutes or sitting shivering in a cold garage convincing myself that I'm having a good time.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I would have to say its want for me. I only smoke 3-4 bowls per week, and that's during good weather. Not counting my pipe club or other opportunities to smoke indoors I bet I only smoked 20 bowls from Nov- Mar. I know some here bang that out in a week. Perhaps if I lived in San Diego I would smoke more :)
I enjoy my time smoking a pipe and trying to discern all of the flavors and nuances of the tobacco but don't crave it.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I want to smoke my pipe, not need to. I do occasionally get a nic hit, while it can be nice, its not absolute for enjoyment. I crave the moments I have when smoking my pipe, peace and serenity more than addiction...I am addicted to those moments most of all.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Since i look forward to that morning smoke there might be something there. i guess it can be looked at as addictive. Whether its the act of smoking or the actual nicotine wack.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
I only smoke the pipe when I want to, sometimes I don't feel like it for a week and have no problems. I don't have an addictive personality though, when I was younger I bought and smoked 1 pack of cigarettes, didn't really do anything for me and never felt the need to have them again.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I was in the camp of want to smoke and then life got stressful and I found myself smoking more and more to relax. I found that I wasn't enjoying it as much as I used to so I decided on an experiment. For the last month I now only smoke on the weekends when I have time. I have found this to be enjoyable and more satisfying then when I was having a couple of bowls a day. I know I can go 5 or 6 days without smoking a pipe and with no issues whatsoever with nicotine withdrawal.
Now that I've discovered that, I will occasionally enjoy a cigar or a pipe mid week, but only if the weather is nice and I know I have the time to enjoy it. If it doesn't meet my criteria then I don`t bother and move on with my day.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
I am in the same camp as Brian...I only smoke when I know I have the time to really enjoy it. When our little one was born, it was 2 months before I had some time to relax and have a puff!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Never been a need to smoke for me. I can go days or weeks without a hint of withdrawal. Gone months and years (9 one time) without smoking at all. The day I feel a need to smoke is the last day I smoke in my life. Because some dried up weed is not going to control me.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I have a strong desire to smoke my pipe, any time when I get the time. But if it's not convenient I'll go days or even weeks without it.
For now it's a want, in the future, who knows?

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I am in the want to smoke column myself. Pipe smoking does not lend itself to defusing an immediate stressful situation, day or week. It will decompress the soul only after I've gotten to a quiet place and be alone with my thoughts. I love having a pipe first thing in the morning with some coffee but life doesn't always play ball and it's not an everyday thing. If I needed to smoke a pipe, I'd more than likely quit it.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Definitely more want than need. I often go days without a pipe and it's not an issue. However, I have used tobacco and nicotine for a significant percentage of my life so I'd be lying if I said there weren't ocassions that I crave that nic pick me up. When I can't smoke or don't have time, a pinch of snuff works well for that.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Since we are being quite honest here I'll also admit to being a vitamin N lover and will huff some nasal snuff occasionally for a boost. Its another form of nicotine ingestion that I find enjoyable and I do use it with great moderation.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
My pipe smoking is want. When I started smoking, it was cigars and pipes, so my life with tobacco didn't start with the super addictive coffin nails. I usually smoke every day, unless I am out with my girlfriend or visiting folks (which happens quite a bit). I try not to smoke if I am stressed out, it never fails that I puff my pipe into a tongue scorching inferno. As for nicotine, I rarely even notice it unless I start getting ill,that's why SG 1792 is forever off my table.
I also try to be very careful when it comes to addictive things. I don't have an addictive personality, but I have a lot of substance abuse issues on both sides of my family. Especially when I drink, I ask myself "Do you want or need? Are you still in control?" The day I get the wrong answer back is the day my pipes find a new home and I become as sober as a parson.

Status
Not open for further replies.