PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Just came across an interesting fact that I hadn't known before (and which was confirmed by three different books on tobacco): Nicotine dissipates in the air. So a blend smoked fresh will have more nicotine content than the same blend dried out for a period of time.
Personally, I try to avoid blends that have pronounced nicotine content; I don't enjoy the effects of it. But it hadn't occurred to me that a blend that might be a tad over the line for me could become quite smokeable if I let it dry out for a couple of hours. (I haven't read anything about the rate at which nicotine dissipates over time. You'll have to experiment.)
Hey: Knowledge is fun! ;)
Bob

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
(I haven't read anything about the rate at which nicotine dissipates over time. You'll have to experiment.)
Hmmm, I haven't seen a definite time-frame either, but I'd imagine it's slow.
I smoke cigars... and La Flor Dominicana (LFD) and Joya de Nicaragua usually offer very strong blends. You can sit these out allll day, and you will still shit your pants as you smoke one (i'm not kidding, try a JdN Dark Corojo or LFD Colorado). They can even be aged for years and years and years, and still have an oomph.
I'd imagine, much like the volatile oils in tobacco breaking down slowly (the aging process) nicotine will dissipate or break down sloooowly as the tobacco ages.
That's why you CAN age tobacco with success. If all the nicotine disappeared rather quickly (say, sitting it out to dry for 2 hours) every blend would be way too weak after any age, even for a nicotine lightweight (like me).

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'd imagine, much like the volatile oils in tobacco breaking down slowly (the aging process) nicotine will dissipate or break down sloooowly as the tobacco ages.
Gray:
Nicotine dissipates in the open air. In a sealed tin, there's nowhere for it to go, so I wouldn't expect any reduction in nicotine, ever. I believe Greg Pease has written about this -- if not here, then in his own newsletter.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Thank you for the clarification. I'll look for Greg's article!
Thinking back to humidors... they are certainly not airtight like a tin, yet, the nicotine does not go anywhere fast. I still maintain that it's very slow. I'll see what Mr. Pease has to say though. If it does dissipate quicker than I believe, I know of a couple blends I will be giving some air-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.