PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I wish I had taken some before images but didn't think about it. This pipe came with a heavily oxidized green stem and the briar was in desperate need of some TLC.
First step was a salt and alcohol treatment for the bowl to remove ghosts.
The stem was soaked in bleach for about 30 minutes followed by 1000 grit sandpaper. After the sanding I used a Dremel tool buffing pad with polishing compound. For the final polishing I used Carnauba wax to bring on that shine.
The brair was rescued using 1000 grit sandpaper and a very light sanding so not to remove any of the stamping. She then got a coat of brown leather dye. The last step again was using that Carnauba wax to get a matte shine.
Here she is in all her new glory!
dw1-600x450.jpg

dw2-600x450.jpg

dw4-600x450.jpg

dw5-600x450.jpg

dw12-600x327.jpg

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Good job on the restoration. Pretty pipe too. If you decide to smoke her, let us know how she puffs. Congrats and Enjoy! Thanks for sharing.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Durham:
This pipe is worth a chunk of change to all the Mouse House collectors out there. But, I'm curious as to the history. A lot of these WDW burners were made by Comoy.
Are there any other stampings or impressions on this pipe aside from Walt Disney World? {Please feel free to use a magnifying glass. I always carry one in my car.)
Fnord

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
How old is that pipe? 50's 60's? I really like the pattern.
It say Walt Disney World on it, and that wasn't built until 1970 (I was actually at the park 1 week before it officially opened and as a kid I was sorely bummed that all we could do was look at it from the outside).
So that means it's probably mid-1970s or there about.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
As numbersix pointed out the pipe has to be before the 80's.
I asked Brian Levine on Facebook and he said the following concerning this pipes age.
"I am going to say early 1970s because by the 80s they started getting picky about have the copyright on there."

Has far as other stampings, no. I looked it over with a fine tooth comb.
I'm still undecided if it's going to be smoked or kept for a collection. Who knows, I might decide to auction it off or something? I do have another Disney pipe I'm going to work on but I'd like to send it out to have a stem fitted. It didn't come with the stem and the tenon is broke off in the shank.
Thanks guys, glad you like!
Here's the second Walt Disney World Pipe.
dis1-1-1-600x450.jpg

dis2-600x450.jpg

dis3-600x378.jpg

dis6-600x437.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Super cool Durham. I am not a Disney fanatic, but I do have fond memories of Disney World (we went a second time when I was a young teen). The logo brings me right back and I think it's pretty cool to know these were sold on "Main Street USA" back in the day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxqt1vNtxLU

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Great save. I wonder if Disney disavows selling pipes at one time, like the folks at LL Bean seem to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.