Wait a Minute, What's Going on with These Plugs?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
About a year ago I obtained some Velvan Plug and as I smoked it I thought it seemed kinda familiar. Checked my Peterson's 3P and it looked, smelled and tasted the same as the Velvan. Ok, so yesterday I opened a pouch of Salty Dogs, and low and behold, it looked, smelled and tasted the same as the previously mentioned plugs. This was a surprise to me as many of reviews I had read said it could be easily broken off and rubbed out by hand. All three of these plugs are very hard and compressed to the point that the only way to prepare them is to cut it with a sharp knife. So somewhere along the line Salty Dogs must have changed. I've heard that at least two of them are made in Denmark now, so maybe all of them are, and are indeed the same tobacco. I know the constituent tobaccos in these are supposed to differ, but for the life of me, I can't tell them apart.
I doubt that anyone has these three plugs on hand that have been purchased in the last year. So asking for another comparison might be a bit of a stretch. Maybe someone has some knowledge of if they are all the same now, even though the tobaccos used in the blends are stated as being different.
Here's a photo of all three together: from the left, Petersons 3P, Velvan Plug, and Salty Dogs.

img_1220-600x341.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I have recent Velvan and 3Ps on hand. To me, the tobaccos are virtually indistinguishable, just the topping and casing are different. Velvan seems a tad sweeter, but that may be the casing rather than the tobaccos. As far as I understand, Velvan is no longer being produced.
Never had Salty Dogs.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have several Salty Dogs from the initial release, and they are hard as bricks. Nothing easy about them. Still good though.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I love 3P's but Salty Dog I did not care for at all. Taste wise, 2 different animals by a long shot...

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Can't tell you about tin/pouch note as I have no sense of smell at all. However, taste wise I really picked up the Perique and rum taste that I don't get in 3 Ps at all. Just my lame opinion. Jim would be the guy to ask...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have Velvan, 3P, Salty Dogs, Warrior, Mick McQuaid and Revor plugs on hand. They are all different to me. Sadly, Velvan, Warrior and Mick McQuaid are no longer being made. Velvan, I believe, was made at the Gallaher factory in Ireland, though it could be from Sam Gawith. 3P is from STG and Salty Dogs is made by Dan in Germany.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The similarity and potential identical aspect of these is intriguing. 1Q is marketed under dozens of names, so we know that marketing approach. Let us know if you experience any discernible difference with these three. You sure can sell more of one blend sold as multiple blends. People love variety even when it is only imaginary, I guess.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The power of suggestion is quite strong. People want to believe that subtle (or not so subtle) differences exist between products that are actually identical. STG does make plugs and flakes for several well known tobacco manufacturers, some of which may (or may not) be unique. But if it walks like a duck....

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
All the STP Plugs are the same base Tobaccos with different toppings added. Velvan Plug is very different to 3P's in my opinion because of the top dressing. I get a mild floral flavor note from Velvan whereas the toppings on 3P's serves to enhance the natural flavors of the leaf. I think 3P, McQuaid and Murray's Warrior Plug are extremely similar all the way to the top dressings added but I've read (heard) that Murrays has a bit more Burley than the other two. Salty Dog's has Perique where the others mentioned have Burley. Velvan Plug was an outstanding Plug and I kick myself in the arse everyday for not stocking up on it, that and Erinmore Plug! I could easily replace Murray's Warrior Plug and McQuaid's Plug with 3P's as I think they are just too similar to 3P's to justify the additional cost they demand. I have not yet tried Yachman's Plug but I suspect it will be very similar to Perfect Plug too so I'm in no rush to run out and buy some. .

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I like Warrior and Condor plug but as you might have noticed I am not overly keen on Yachtsman plug. I will smoke it but it needs an S&S milling machine to cut the damned stuff up.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Thanks for all your thoughts gentlemen. I guess I'll have to try some side by side comparisons of these three plugs to see what differences there really are. I think I was stupid enough to trust some of what I read on tobacco reviews. One person said that Salty Dogs was "loose and springy compared to 3P's". And I believe I misunderstood JImInks about prepping it when he said the block might need a little cutting, and he tore it apart with his fingers. This must have been after he cut some up, but I jumped to conclusions.
I'm not criticizing what other folks taste with these blends, and I do like them all, I just felt that they were very similar in appearance, and smell as well as taste. So, now I just have to try them all side by side in thee identical cobs to see what differences I can detect. This will only probably prove that my senses are failing. Drat!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's good to see interest in plugs. The most portable form of tobacco, and possibly the tastiest, if you ask me. Twists are handy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.