PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I bought a tin of this over a year ago, had one bowl, thought "eh....it's OK," then put it away and promptly forgot about it. I stumbled across the tin a couple of weeks ago and gave it another try. It's a lot better than just OK.
Apparently there is a good amount of perique in it, but if so, it stayed firmly in the background for me. It's there, but in that dark fruity sort of way. No spice at all for me, except just a little subtle tingly finish. I think its main glory is to tame what I think are some very high sugar Virginias which are flat out delicious, but never came close to getting too hot for me (and I puff a bit).
The real star here is the Izmir. Its musty herbal presence is constant and forward, and is a beautiful counterpoint to those sweet Virginias. Incredibly well balanced. It is rich and flavorful without being overwhelming, and bite was never even in the same zip code. To me, it was a lot like Anni Kake cut with a big wad of Turkish. A few more tins are going in my cellar very soon.
NOTE: I have only smoked it folded and stuffed

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Have tried that one, but have a tin of Low Country's Cooper that's been hanging out unopened for about two years; might be getting good.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The real star here is the Izmir. Its musty herbal presence is constant and forward, and is a beautiful counterpoint to those sweet Virginias.
Amen ... Glad you liked it!
Waccamaw really flies under the radar but does get mentioned now and then. After smoking a tin from 2012 it earned a special place in my heart and a Meerschaum dedicated to it.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Where can I get some of this? I love orientals without the lat so I will love this. Thanks

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Smokingpipes.com carries it, I believe.
I love orientals without the lat so I will love this
Try some GLP Cairo if you haven't already ... another great one!

Jun 4, 2014
I have a open tin of Waccamaw sitting in my cabinet. I had similar experience. I'll have to dig it out and give it another try.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I'm a fan of the Waccamaw, too. I find most flakes need to air out at least a few weeks after popping the tin and get better then.
Also a fan of the two VaOr's that Cobguy mentioned. Good stuff. Give McC's Tudor Castle and Grand Orientals (Classic Samsun, with the addition of stoved VAs, is my favorite of the three I've tried so far) a try if you like these types of blends, they're even better than all of the above, IMO.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I can't get enough of Classic Samsun, so tasty. I have to admit that I can't get Cairo to work for me, but I have a tin of Embarcadero I'll pop in a few months.
Has anyone tried McClelland 2025?

Status
Not open for further replies.