W. Curtis Draper Fine Tobacconist (Bethesda, Md)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Since I've been going to this Bethesda tobacconist on and off for about 10 years - mostly at its old location under other management - I thought I'd give its new location and new management a few visits before posting.
A bit of background

W. Curtis Draper is a classic tobacconist in Washington D.C. (in fact, its across the street from the White House) and is known for it's fantastic selection (in both pipes and cigars) and knowledgeable staff. A few years ago, they expanded into Bethesda, Md., purchasing the existing operation of Bethesda Tobacco - as its, then owner, wanted concentrate on his own line of cigars.
Bethesda Tobacco was one of my favorite hangouts, as a younger, cigar-smoking man. It was then located in an old townhouse - the only one on the block to survive the expansion of Bethesda's west side commercial district. It was a fun quirky place with a decent size humidor downstairs and a smoking lounge upstairs, with an honor bar (the kind where you replaced what you took or made a small donation). I had a buddy that worked the counter when I didn't have work, so I would usually be found hanging out downstairs with him, enjoying a good smoke. It was also where I was introduced to Perique - my friend smoke American Spirits Black (Perique Rich Robust) as he said that they were the only cigs strong enough after he started inhaling cigars :?
Since those days, I'd moved out of town and back again, while Bethesda Tobacco moved to a new building, with a custom-built interior about a block away. They soon sold their operation to W. Curtis Draper, who then set about making the store into an even more inviting lounge.
Pipe Selection

While limited, the selection at this branch of Draper is well considered (the original store in D.C. is supposed to have a much larger selection). They have a nice set of mid-to-high priced pipes, mainly Petersons and Dunhills. They also offer a $20 Beechwood basket pipe that looks interesting. The tobacco selection is largely composed of Dunhill, Peterson, and Sutliff Private Stock tins - as well as about 4 to 6 house bulks. The prices are a little on the high-side, but that is more due to the expense of the area (Bethesda) and the main clientele they make money on (Chevy-Chase denizens with lots of disposable income). They have one staff member that is fairly knowledgable about pipes, Leonard Taylor; who is also pretty friendly and quite helpful.
The atmosphere

The staff is pretty universally welcoming, although, oftentimes they have the quirk of not helping you unless you specifically as them - I think this is more out of the desire to not seem like they are hovering, as they usually attempt to keep the place relaxed. Except for the front retail space, and the huge walk-in humidor, the rest of the place is a lounge, where shoppers are welcome to smoke as they will. The place goes pretty far back into the block, so keep walking to see all of it.

l.jpg

W. Curtis Draper's Bethesda store is a few blocks from the Bethesda Metro, and parking is ample in a garage right across the street (you will need to pay weekdays, but weekends are free). It's a nice place - especially when it is emptier and you can steal some TV time to yourself - and definitely a great place to try out if you are looking to enjoy a nice smoke in a relaxing lounge.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I never knew this shop was in Bethesda. I live in Hagerstown but work in NOVA frequently. I might have to make a diversion coming home some evening (or afternoon, I try to avoid 270 during evening rush hour!). Thanks for the heads up and sharing the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.