Visiting the UK- how to buy some Condor?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Folks, Quite a few people I work with always seem to be visiting the UK (from the US). I want to give them some money to bring me back some Condor. So- Assuming they get it at the Duty Free shop at the airport, what does a pouch of Condor cost? Is there a limit to how much they can bring back?
Where in the airport is the Duty free shop that has it?
Thanks

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Somebody (cough cough) posted about Condor at LHR about a month ago. Scroll down to find your answer!
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/condor-at-lhr
Not sure how much you can bring back; in Europe it's 250g per person, so that would be 2 boxes of Condor at LHR. I think the limits are higher in the US. You might want your friends to bring back a box of St. Bruno while you're at it--pretty good stuff, that.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
there is both a limit on the amount of tobacco they can bring in (absolute) and the monetary value of all the purchases they are declaring ( flexible, in that you can bring in above the personal limit but are liable for duty above that limit). you can claim the personal exemption once every 30 days.
I am always skeptical of "duty FREE" prices.... if the item sold in the shop comes from an EEU country, theoretically it should not have attracted any duty when imported into the UK to begin with. so claiming

the price is duty "free" is a tiny bit of a scam/white lie.
and it certainly does not mean the item is free of duty when it enters the US.... the price paid is included

in the traveler's personal exemption.
You can check the US Customs website for the up-to-date limits for various types of tobacco and current $ amount of the personal exemption.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
two important caveats to the info I just posted, to be entirely fair:
first the duty free shop price should exclude the VAT you'd pay in a UK

retail outlet.
second the duty free price will likewise exclude the horrendous punitive

tobacco taxes charged in the UK retail environment.
thus as opposed to UK retail, you will arguably pay a lot less at Duty Free;

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Thanks guys. What I was really hoping to find out is the price. I can order from MrSnuff for about $21.00 a pouch. It would be nice to know if there is much of a price difference, enough to bug my coworkers to bring me some back or just order online.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
jiterbugdude in a Dublin 25g pouch of Condor is €9.40/$10.38. Last time I was in Dublin airport the duty free price worked out about half of that.
Tobacco is cheaper in the UK so the above should give you some idea of prices there.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Oldreddog.. That's what I wanted to know! Now I just have to wait for someone to go to the UK, which should be next month. I'll start saving my pennies, or would that be pounds or euros? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.