Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
They claim to be the world largest cigar store, so I thought I must pay a visit, specially after the suggestions from yesterday. I made the 43 mile journey today evening! Decent selection of pipe tobacco, reasonably priced and a large bar, smoking lounges, etc... Here is the loot. (I got a limited edition Padron 1926 as well, as I thought - since I am visiting a cigar store, let me buy a cigar)

2017-09-03-175554-529x600.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Good selection all around my Brother! Can't lose on anything you bought...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a JR off I-95 near Smithfield N.C., about an hour away. It has been a while, several years, since I've made the trek, and I hear they've changed the format somewhat. I'd be interested to see it. When I went there, they seemed to have the best prices of any brick and mortar I'd visited. They had a good selection in pipe tobacco, not comparable to the cigars, but all the way from tub tobaccos to Dunhill blends. Their pipes, other than Dr. Grabows, were all under glass, and required the attendance of a sales person. Since it often takes me hours, days or weeks to decide on a pipe, I didn't even look, except to peer down through the case to see if I could spot prices, which mostly I couldn't. Despite the savings, generally I'd rather support my nearby local independent pipe shop, to keep it going. If I were out toward JR, I'd enjoy another visit.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Sorry I didn't know you were coming to JR's; I drove down there today for a late lunch and leisurely bowl. It's about 30 minutes south of where I live.
Much of the smoking lounge was remodeled in the last two years. There used to be a lot of square footage dedicated to miscellaneous crappy retail merchandise.

Nicely summarized @mso without being there! Much better job than what I did. They have a decent selection of pipe tobaccos (from tubs to Dunhills) and the best price of all B&Ms. The costly stuff is behind glass, as you pointed out. I did not look into pipes, as I did not want to buy one. I spent 15 minutes - I wish I could have stayed more, but more I would have stayed, more I would have spent I guess. I will visit again.

I am a novice in cigars. But I do enjoy the padron limited editions occasionally. This one was a flavorful smoke, got hints of spice throughout and even my lips tasted a little pepper. The nic hit was there (compared to the natural wrapping) and I could not finish the whole cigar. Enjoyed every moment of it.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I have not had the 1924 in Maduro, but I do enjoy the 1964 series in Maduro on occasion........... They are great cigars. Summer months I gravitate more to the cigars, pipes I enjoy more in the fall/winter. Good on you supporting your Brick and Mortar, they depend on us to keep the doors open............ enjoy those blends, if that Padron gave you a nic hit, wait for that Black XX............. :D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As I recall, JR does well with its selection of tub tobaccos at about the same price as online with shipping, roughly. So if you want to cache a tub or more, they may have what you want. If it is a drive, you can likely call first.

Status
Not open for further replies.