PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
On my long and winding road on the quest for the Holy Grail, I have learned that I really enjoy Virginias and Burleys, especially when they're put together. Two of my favorite blends are Uhle's 00 and Peter Stokkebye's Cube Cut. I love the natural flavor of the tobacco that comes through but with a little sweetness. Also, these are ones that doesn't raise the ire of my beautiful housemate.
Can anyone suggest any other VaBur blends, similar to the ones mentioned? Has anyone had much experience with C&D's Briar Fox or the new Lane Limited Ready Rubbed? Extra points for "very pleasant" room note!

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
I'm just venturing into this style, but quite enjoyed Peterson's University Flake, and...egads...Carter Hall though the latter is very sparing on Viginia

stoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Bald headed teacher although it also has latakia, the room note is very pleasant.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I haven't tried the Uhle's 00 or the Stokkebye's you mentioned so I can't compare to those. I haven't had the Lane Ready Rubbed either but I have a lot of the Sutliff match and really like it and it is well received by others who I am smoking around. My only beef with it is that it's lighter in nicotine than I prefer. Another one I am enjoying right now is Amphora Red (Full Aroma) and everyone around me likes it as well. Might be worth checking out some reviews on it to see if it fits what you are looking for.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
A delicious mixture. Make your own! Straight Grain Flake and Dark Burley make a delicious combination.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I like Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation 1931 flake which IIRC is a Va-Bur. Otherwise I tend to steer clear of burley.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
C&D's Pegasus is a popular Va/Bur blend. Sort of a step up from Prince Albert. Another good one is MacBaren's Golden Extra. If you like your nicotine, MacBaren's Old Dark Fired (RR & Flake) will ring your bell.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Peterson University Flake. It does have a bit of fruit/plum topping though; certainly not an aromatic, at least to my thinking, but something to be aware of.

Reactions: alottalatakia

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
The thing about VaBurs is the flavor profile is all over the place. If you think of VaPers as all being different shades of blue, perhaps even running into some blue-greens, VaBurs on the other hand compose the entire rainbow. You'll likely need to sample a lot of blends (nothing wrong with that) to come up with your own personal favorites.

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Great suggestions, guys! Thank you!
gmjabsky & heirophant: I've tried University Flake, but it's been several years. I may have to give it another shot! Same goes for Carter Hall...
shutterbug: I have tried Erik Stokkebye's 1931 Flake, and it is good. Thank you for the reminder!
Everybody else, you've given me some great ideas for my next TAD order! Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D does a number of Va/Burs that are excellent. PC's Russ' month series Log Cabin is a Va/Bur/Cav is really tasty, as is PC's Midtown series Chestnut.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I know a lot of people poo poo it, but I like the most recent Three Nuns. It's got good flavor with just the right amount of kick for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.