PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2014
Interesting tip from NWPipesmoker that may work for some clenchers' stems. He's the kind of guy that I think most people (at least here) would love to have next door.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecDV1x0z0V8
In his later videos, you can see him using the tubing for almost all the pipes he holds up to the camera, so I guess it works well for him. I've started clenching a couple of my pipes, so this intrigues me.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I used that system for a while, but eventually I got used to the idea of clench marks on my pipes. To me the discomfort of clenching something that thick just isn't worth it.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I’ve heard of the heat shrink tubing being used but I personally don’t think it’s a good idea for several reasons. Saliva will collect under it and on the stem and the only way to clean it is to cut it off. If not cleaned it’s very unsanitary. Secondly, I’m not at all sure just what it’s made of and therefore of it’s safe to have in ones mouth. Third, it’s quite thin and it will not last very long. Thanks, but I think I’ll stick with the softie bits.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I use the rubber bites on occasion mostly when i walk my dog Roscoe and wanna have a pipe for company as well. However i greatly dislike them for many reasons.
- There just too damn big, they make my saddlebits feel like a 1" PVC.

- Hurts my Jaw.

- Promotes Excessive Saliva.

- And lately i have been chewing right through them and end up with the button portion of the rubber bit in my mouth and the other still on the stem.
I guess i could be up to trying other things but im worried that if i bite through these guys how could something thinner protect my stem?
I guess im just better off dealing with bite marks.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
@ Organized,

"Saliva under the tubing won't be an issue if you heat shrink them on correctly".
Your probably mostly right with that idea, but I doubt if the shrink tube keeps all the saliva out. Just my opinion.
tinner, Stan

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Might have to check out the shrink tube, as i have a few pipes with thin/narrow stems that the softie bits are too big for. Good idea.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I like the hear shrink tubing, too: it is thinner, much cheaper in the long run, easy to apply and remove, more comfortable, and still provides nice protection.
As for saliva getting under it, I think if applied right it will be minimal, as organizedmadman said. If its a concern still I think letting it dry an hour or two and then dipping it in alcohol would probably take care of any residual germs and whatnot.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I was gifted some food grade shrink tubing and thought it worked great. I'm not a clenched but found it useful for my "driving" pipes.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I would buy more if I knew where to find it by the foot. Only place I found pvc, food grade sold it in 25ft lengths.

May 31, 2012
That guy does seem really cool.

8)
A cool guy who used to post here alot liked to use surgical tubing,

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-bits
...and at one point he had seemed to develop a whole applied philosophy of clenching,

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/i-want-to-thank-kashmir-for-great-advice
He also came up with a pretty fun game,

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/guess-the-pipe-smoker-
good stuff.

:puffy:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
That's a pretty neat trick. Too bad I didn't see this before spending over $100 on softies. I have one for most of my pipes. I could've bought a Sav instead.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I only have a couple of pipes that I want one on so I use the clear tubing you can buy from the hardware store. I get the 7/16 ID x 3/8 OD . Soak the end in hot water for a few minutes then cut it to the length you like and it will slip on even your wider bits. I don't worry too much about saliva under the softie bit. After 3-4 smokes with the pipe I cut it off and put on another one. At $0.59 ft tax included, I don't worry too much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.