PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Well my thin version of the Zippo butane lighter arrived, the EBW 92 stands for eBay winner 92, I had to chuckle at that. The lighter runs perfectly with full adjustment w/o issue, very nice lighter.

banjo
36980892201_36931fec83_z_d.jpg

Jun 27, 2016
A Zippo Contempo. Had to look that one up, was not aware of it. It reminded me a lot of an IM Corona Accord, and in fact it says that the Contempo parts were made in Japan, and then assembled in the USA. :puffpipe:
http://www.zippo-windproof-lighter.de/Contempo/Butane.html

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes, nice lighter! I had to look one up too. Was hoping they still made them. Because of this post I just spent an hour looking at zippos.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Yeah I forgot to include Contempo in my original post. The lighter was made in Japan for Zippo and assembled in the US. Unfortunately Zippo discontinued service on them in 1998 and won't honor the warranty, there's a fantastic video on YouTube on maintenance of the lighter and it was able to assist a gentleman on another forum bring his back to life for the cost of a mini Phillips head screwdriver, if you find a working one you like I'd seek out some Zippo butane and perform the maintenance, this will purge the lighter of contaminants and the Zippo fuel will keep it lighting properly, you can switch to a highly filtered fuel, 7x or more filtered later.

banjo

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
The flame in slightly anemic but there's an excellent video on YouTube discussing maintenance of the Zippo Contempo and a friend has one with a flame lower than what I am showing so I sent him the video, he picked up some Zippo butane fuel and followed the instructions and his flame is now like what jvnshr shows, I'm waiting for the Zippo fuel to arrive before I mess with mine, cheers.

banjo
36378901923_b0e53f04ef_o_d.jpg

Jun 27, 2016
Looks like there was a standard and slim version, which explains the two different types posted. :puffpipe:

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
fishnbanjo you say was, as in they are no longer available? I am liking the regular one, and would like to buy one ...

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
They do show up on eBay and there are several there now, like with other collectibles the seller seems to value them too higher than what they should sell for especially new in the box unused ones. Personally if you keep it under $100 you'll get a good one with $75-80 being the mean price. I'd just keep watching for the model you are seeking, best of luck. Be sure to include Contempo in your search there are other Zippo butane lighters made that are not satisfactory.

banjo

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Here is one NIB unused with Best offer http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SILVER-ZIPPO-CONTEMPO-BUTANE-LIGHTER-WITH-BOX-classy-/391869085276?hash=item5b3d37b65c:g:FyYAAOSwn5ZZcSrx if you seek this be sure to purchase some Zippo butane fuel as well, let me know if you need the maintenance video since it may require you doing the procedure outlined if the seals are dry they can be brought back to life.

banjo

mikeklumpp

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2013
hong kong
there is a shop in Tokyo that specializes in all things vintage Zippo - lots of really cool stuff - great selection of pipes and tobaccos and the zippo museum pieces are all for sale - just fyi

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
mikeklumpp, do you know if they service the Zippo Contempo lighters? That would be a big deal even having to send it to Tokyo for service, regards.

banjo

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I also performed the recommended maintenance and service on my trim version of the Zippo Contempo this weekend.
Before:
36378901923_b0e53f04ef_o_d.jpg

After:
37052184460_d08854f2b7_z_d.jpg

banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.