Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Picked up a Meerschaum Cutty in its case from CA 1900, can't wait to have it arrive from Europe.

banjo
1e7257e4c358aeba2f1d1d9215723cd6703edcf.jpg

60b15b4951e325dea50ae6f0bf4286bc127d415.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I usually don't buy the 8' inch ones as they are a total pain in the arse to cart around publicly and get damaged if taken outside of the office/home and from there to a one way trip to Tim Wests or Rick at Briarville! On another note they are a total nightmare to try and get a pipe cleaner down the stem unless you have access to the uber furry soft cleaners found in modeling shops. This usually necessitates the unscrewing of the amber bit which in itself is an operation where you take your life in your hands to make sure the stem and bit alighn up correctly without risking damaging the threads of the faux amber bit against the bone tenion. Enjoy the pipe Banjo as it looks like it will smoke well. Is that one of the pipes from the lot that surfaced from Greece as I have seen quite a few show up from that neck of the woods recently?

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
It is one of the lots from Greece condorlover1 and I totally understand the pipe cleaner thing and will be getting some of the soft cleaners I use them for cleaning the inside of my black powder nipples so I know where to get them. As for unscrewing the bit it may take me awhile to muster up the courage to do that!

banjo

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Let me know how you get on with that Banjo as I bought one from Greece from the same seller and got a cheroot holder that I gave to Weezel as it looked like one of my 'cutty' pipes had been left in the rain! My own silly fault as I should have asked the length instead of guesstimating the length. :rofl:

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I have an old Meerschaum Cheroot pipe in a case, it's even got some engraving on it. I don't smoke Cheroots and the small bowl size doesn't bother me as I prefer small bowls and for the longest time it was my testing pipe for new tobacco's and those with high vitamin N, just had to have a wooden golf tee handy for a tamper, I did trim the head of the tee to fit. I now own several sub group 1 size pipes, in Meerschaum , Morta and briar and continue to use these pipes as testing grounds for new tobacco's, probably should add a mini cob someday to have a complete set! :D. Cheers.

banjo

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nice score! The bowl walls look pretty thin. I've never smoked a meer cutty. Does the bowl get super hot like a clay cutty?

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
As for unscrewing the bit it may take me awhile to muster up the courage to do that!
Well... I went that route and(ahem) it did not work out so well for me. Sent the pipe off for a repair afterwards... 8O

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Ahem, point very much taken, note to self read this post every day until pipe arrives and every day there after should certain urges strike!
As for unscrewing the bit it may take me awhile to muster up the courage to do that!

Well... I went that route and(ahem) it did not work out so well for me. Sent the pipe off for a repair afterwards... 8O

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A vintage meerschaum cutty! Who cares about cleaning and handling issues. Buy buy buy! Very fine pipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.