Vintage Dunhill London Mixture. Made in Germany??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Yesterday I was looking for something in my tobacco cellar when I stumbled upon a vintage tin Of Dunhill London Mixture I once bought. Suddenly my eye fell upon the "Hergestellt in Deutschland, which translates as "Made in Germany". Huh?? An old Dunhill tobacco made in Germany? Is there anybody who knows a bit more about this?

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Funny you would mention that. I have an antique tin of Germain no.7 that I bought at a flea market in Berlin. It also says "Hergestellt in Deutschland" on one side and then "Jersey Channel Islands" on the other. It was obviously made in Jersey, so I think that back then there was some sort of trade requirement that certain products for the German market needed that printed on them.
germain-600x448.jpg

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
At Best these tobaccos took advantage of the good ol' tax break trick that happened a lot back then: Anything more than 10% assembled in the country is now "made in" that country. In other words, Dunhill/Germain makes the tobacco/tins then ships them to Germany. The Germans put the tobacco into the tins and then bam! "Hergestellt in Deutschland"!

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Going way off-topic but ok :P
arno: interesting; does that mean that the other Germain's offerings are manufactured by Planta as well?
Each year Planta brings out a nice catalogue with all the tobaccos they produce: http://www.planta-tabak.de/etc/Planta%20Collection%202014.pdf

If you search for Germain you see the offerings Planta make. I also know from a befriended tobacconist that it is somewhat of a "business secret" that Planta makes some of the Germain offerings.

However, I have doubts about Planta making the Germain flakes they list. This because I have a production list of Germain itself which lists the Medium Flake, Brown Flake and Special Latakia Flake. My guess would be that Planta produces the aromatic-like Germain offerings listed in the catalogue and are a distributor for the flakes. As soon as I speak that befriended tobacconist I shall ask him more about this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.