Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Vintage Dunhill London Mixture. Made in Germany??

(9 posts)
  1. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

Yesterday I was looking for something in my tobacco cellar when I stumbled upon a vintage tin Of Dunhill London Mixture I once bought. Suddenly my eye fell upon the "Hergestellt in Deutschland, which translates as "Made in Germany". Huh?? An old Dunhill tobacco made in Germany? Is there anybody who knows a bit more about this?

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

No, and I am flabbergasted to hear you say that.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. latbomber

latbomber

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny you would mention that. I have an antique tin of Germain no.7 that I bought at a flea market in Berlin. It also says "Hergestellt in Deutschland" on one side and then "Jersey Channel Islands" on the other. It was obviously made in Jersey, so I think that back then there was some sort of trade requirement that certain products for the German market needed that printed on them.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Or is it simply that the german market required, or demanded, that in order to be sold on german soil, Dunhill and germain,s tobaccos had to be manufactured in Germany? From what I have been told, Germain's Mixture No 7 is (or was, that info dates back 10 years or so) in the top 3 sellers out there.
    One thing's for sure: that's weird.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. latbomber

latbomber

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At Best these tobaccos took advantage of the good ol' tax break trick that happened a lot back then: Anything more than 10% assembled in the country is now "made in" that country. In other words, Dunhill/Germain makes the tobacco/tins then ships them to Germany. The Germans put the tobacco into the tins and then bam! "Hergestellt in Deutschland"!

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

Thnx for the info so far gents!
    By the way, these days Germain no. 7 is actually made in Germany by Planta..

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

arno: interesting; does that mean that the other Germain's offerings are manufactured by Planta as well?

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

Going way off-topic but ok

arno: interesting; does that mean that the other Germain's offerings are manufactured by Planta as well?

Each year Planta brings out a nice catalogue with all the tobaccos they produce: http://www.planta-tabak.de/etc/Planta%20Collection%202014.pdf
    If you search for Germain you see the offerings Planta make. I also know from a befriended tobacconist that it is somewhat of a "business secret" that Planta makes some of the Germain offerings.
    However, I have doubts about Planta making the Germain flakes they list. This because I have a production list of Germain itself which lists the Medium Flake, Brown Flake and Special Latakia Flake. My guess would be that Planta produces the aromatic-like Germain offerings listed in the catalogue and are a distributor for the flakes. As soon as I speak that befriended tobacconist I shall ask him more about this matter.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

After a lot of research I finally was able to write a blogpost about my mysterious old German made Dunhill London Mixture tin: Vintage Dunhill tobacco made in… Germany!?

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   smittyd, mso489, the85boro, jguss, donjgiles, yaboofive, skeeter456, cosmicfolklore