PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I just bought a Peterson Butane lighter (for $15) photo below (this was the item that was floating between NJ and ME the past few days and it arrived today). It was brand new in box, unused. I filled it up, and it lit right away - no issues except the flame was too low.
So I adjust the flame height and the flame shot up 6" (no exaggeration). I quickly blew it out, but there was butane hissing out at the nozzle (I opened it up too much apparently).
So I adjusted it back down and tried it again - won't light. After numerous tries, I decided to bleed it out and refill (following Bradley's instructions on cooling the lighter and warming the butane as well).
For some reason, this lighter still will not light. The flint is excellent, good spark. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas? The lighter itself appears to be of fine quality and it did light before - so I should be able to get it to light again, right?
697237374_o.jpg

May 31, 2012
That's a mighty fine lookin' lighter there!
Vintage butane lighters can be very frustrating indeed, and from personal experience I can say it's maddening and sometimes defies logic why the damn'd thing won't work...
...I've had several that I've had to disassemble, and each design can be vastly different. One was a cheapie Korean job from the 70's, one was a very nice Sarome, one was a Prince Pipette --- each one with their own engineering quirks...
...does the butane hiss when the cap-lid is up? If not, then that points to the mechanism which controls that operation, in some cases its a little pin w/ a spring, but yours may be like an OldBoy where the flame nozzle itself depresses to "off" position once the cap-lid is shut, if so, it probably has a spring too, either the spring is seized or something is catching somewhere, I would start by looking there...
...I hope this helps, sorry I couldn't offer anything more coherent...
good luck

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks a lot ML - that is a help believe it or not. I didn't know that the Old Boy flame nozzle has a spring. This one doesn't seem too - but maybe it's seized.
I will continue to fiddle with it.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I have a Mr Brog pipe lighter that exhibits the same problems as your Peterson -- either too low or no flame or a flamethrower. On mine, it's a matter of very careful adjustment - turn it down until there's no more hissing, and then make VERY SMALL adjustments up and down, and see if that works. I have to go through this process every time I refill it. It's as though there's too wide a range on the flame adjustment screw, and you have to make tiny little adjustments to get the damn thing to work properly.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks 4dot. Actually, at this point there is no hissing. It's as if it is either jammed or clogged.
I guess I will have to try and empty it again and try it again. I don't have high hopes for it right now and yet, it seems so well made, I can't help but think it's probably a simple problem that my simple brain can't grasp.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Six I am no lighter expert, but if their is a spring it might be jammed, knock the btm , sharp raps on something wooden, chopping blk? Is their a + or - sign on adjustment, work the adj screw back and forth, don"t force it on either side. Is it a flint lighter? Take another lighter after you fill it again and try to light it with striker open, if it lights you may have flint problems. That's just a few things I would check.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
You might try what I do. I throw failed attempts at having a vintage lighter into a drawer full of other old lighters too pretty to throw away but too flawed to light. It's so disappointing. Those older lighters. You want them to last but they just don't seem to have the ability to be working pieces of history. Hope yours sees a better fate.

Mike S.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That's just a few things I would check.
Thanks Bradley very much - those are good ideas. I did try holding a light over the flame nozzle and nothing.
Thanks to all for the advice - I will keep at it and let you know if I have any luck.

May 31, 2012
If there is no butane at all coming thru the nozzle, it may very well be like 4dotsasieni described because some lighters are super sensitive on the adjustment increments --- or, back to the cap-lid mechanism which turns on/off the valve for the butane...here's a diagram, on this style lighter you can see what I'm talking about...I'd try what 4dot said, then investigate the cap-lid spring...
1954_127.jpg

The bane of these old lighters are the small things, like o-rings or springs, but they can cause massive headaches!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I'm curious as to which butane you use to fill your lighter?
I used a 5x refined fuel. I've used it for over a year in my Colibri with no issues, so I don't think it's that.
Plus this is an unused lighter, so being clogged with fuel wouldn't make sense.
here's a diagram
Thanks a lot for that ML, it may actually help!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
six, I know this is aggravating for you, and you probably don't want to hear this, but in all my years of buying and collecting lighters( Du Pont, Dunhill, Davidoff, IM Corona, Lotus, Colibri, Vector and Zippo, the best and most durable pipe lighter is the IM Corona Old Boy. It just never quits and is never a headache. Yes it is not cheap, but when you figure the cost of all the lighters you might try to save money that break, it is worth it in my opinion.
I have had Vectors that broke after a week, Lotus that lasted a couple of months, Colibri that lasted a few months, and all the time my Old Boy keeps going and going. When it comes to lighters, I believe you definitely get what you pay for.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
When it comes to lighters, I believe you definitely get what you pay for.
I agree with that completely Harris. I thought I could beat the system - lol!
I will tell you however that my Colibri ($42) has lasted me over a year and is still going strong (I do use 5x refined fuel). No flints, built-in tamper. Maybe I just got lucky, but I really love that lighter.
Still, one of these days I hope to be the proud owner of an Old Boy - I just love the classic look and styling. And great to know they work well too.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
UPDATE:
In case anyone is still following this thread, I finally got the bugger to light!
I took it apart completely and discovered a clog in the flame nozzle that sits on what appears to be a wick (deep in the chamber).
Unfortunately, it has clogged 3 times on me now. So not sure what my next step is. Since this is an unused lighter and I am using 5x refined fuel, my guess is it's the wick material (tho I can't actually tell if it's a wick or not).

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Okay, Six, I've been following your comments about this lighter, and also how you'd like to buy an Old Boy some day. My curiosity has motivated me to ask a few questions - not necessarily intended as criticism, of course.
You have said you would like to buy an Old Boy lighter some day.

You have also said that your Colibri lighter has performed well since you bought it. And many members have indicated that if you want a lighter that works in a wind tunnel, the Zippo can't be beaten..

Have also made note of the fact that you like to invest in pipes, incl. a Dunnie or two(?) (Not sure of number)
Now I am asking myself - Why are you spending $ and time with this second lighter if you have one that works just fine? Why not invest that effort (which could be argued is worth $) and the $15 toward an Old Boy?
HAHAHA Not to say that my pot is not as black as your kettle... :P
Was it "just because" reasoning? Just because you liked it and wanted it?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
@boudreaux
lol - well, all I can say is, hindsight is always 20-20. I've always loved the Old Boy look - they are classics. However, right now I cannot justify spending over $100 for a lighter when my $42 Colibri works great.
Spying this Peterson and getting it for $15 seemed like a stroke of luck, but now I think all it's doing is giving me a stroke!
At this point, getting this thing to work has become a challenge and I've taken up the gauntlet! :puffy:
EDIT:
I will say, one good thing that came out of all this is that I am now well acquainted on the Old Boy style lighter. As a pipe smoker, I enjoy learning as much as I can and now I can cross off Old Boy mechanism off the list - lol! And with a little luck (and some compressed air) I think I will have this thing licked shortly.

May 31, 2012
I bought a Vertigo oldboy style lighter just to see how I'd like the feel, well I hated that lighter and it sucked. I'm glad I didn't base any strong opinion on it and I went ahead and got myself a proper IM Corona Old Boy and I agree with Harris that it's the best damn lighter out there in this price range, I've dropped mine several times on concrete and it continues with no problems, yes, a breeze can be a challenge, but can be overcome with a good cupping technique, I use my index finger on the striker-wheel and it operates like butter, I'm right-handed, the Vertigo rip-off drove me nuts because of the shitty striker-wheel. Essentially, an Old Boy is like a Dunhill Unique at 1/3 the price, it's built like a tank and it holds a fill for a good long while, and the tamper is great also!

Mine has served me well -- beyond my expectations,

and it's been a worthy investment!
below, a slightly deconstructed Old Boy,

look at that tank! I think it's brass? or copper?

Solid!
Corona%20Kopfgehaeuse%20komplett%20Schwarz.jpg

Corona%20Reibrad%20Schwarz.jpg

Corona%20Tank%201.jpg

Corona%20Tank%202.jpg

Corona%20Ersatzstopfer%20Titan.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good to know ML and thanks for the pics.
I wouldn't be surprised if I own a Corona model one day. Right now I'd rather have $100 worth of tobacco. One day my ship will come in, I'm sure - lol!

timely

Jan 23, 2012
I have several older model butane lighters and a few new ones.

I agree that the IM Corona Old Boy Lighter is the best.

I would rate the Tsubota Pearl Butane lighters as second in quality.

The older butane lighters that I have are collecting dust in the drawer.

I have had the Old Boy and the Tsubota Pearl lighters for several years now

and they are holding up fine so far.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I agree that the IM Corona Old Boy Lighter is the best
Thanks timely - that's another vote for the Corona.
I will say, I did finally get this Pete to work, the compressed air is what did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.