PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
I've been lurking around on eBay for some good accents to my pipe cabinet project I have in the works. Planning on trying to find a few manufacturer pipe sale poster and vintage tobacco tins. Then I began to wonder, are any of these blends still around? I've seen half and Hal's and prince Albert still around, but haven't heard of Velvet, or George Washington. I know of Three Nuns and I think Flying Dutchmen, but are there any think stick out in your mind as really vintage that are still around and worth the smoke??

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I know Mac Baren has a few blends like Plumcake and Mixture Flake that have been around since the mid to late 50s.
I'm sure there's some more that are around that age as well, just can't think of them off the top of my head right now.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The one caveat about the continuity of a blend's flavor is that the tobacco itself will always have slight variations from year to year, crop to crop, or in happenstances during processing.

That a blender can attain a reasonable measure of consistency is a tribute to 'his' abilities.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Velvet is still around and on sale this month at P&C. Haven't tried it.
The one I'm most curious about is Edgeworth. I've got quite a few empty tins of it that came in a workbench I bought years ago. Someone really liked it and the tins are beautiful works of art.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Ericusrex, I may need to look into the edgeworth, I always like to try the originals so I have something to compare to, as well as I love vintage. Thanks for the heads up on the Velvet.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Edgeworth is no longer made, but there is a pretty highly regarded match blend for it.
Middleton's Cherry Blend was a super popular blend of the past, and still available in pouches; the large can was recently discontinued.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've smoked a majority of the old classic blends and frankly, the newer iterations, in many cases, are better. You can still get Granger, PA, Carter Hall, etc. but even they have changed over the years.

As for Edgeworth, Lane will be re-introducing it as Lane's Ready Rubbed. I don't know when it will be available but I'm sure we'll be hearing about it.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Great to hear, looks like I may be jumping into some of the older blends soon

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
This is a really broad question. Do you mean American blends, all blends, what? Velvet (still available) and George Washington (discontinued) are American blends. Flying Dutchman (discontinued) was from a Dutch company,IIRC; Three Nuns (still around, but the blend was changed in the late 90s, iirc) was from a UK blender.

Blends like Sail and Troost (both also Dutch) were easily available in the late 1960s, when I took up the pipe; they are harder to find now, but still around. (Amphora also fits in this category.)

Status
Not open for further replies.