PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Tin description: A unique blend of tobaccos, vanilla and exotic fruits for an aromatic treat.
So I just finished a half bowl of Villiger's 1888 Mid Day (that I got as a sample from my local shop a few weeks ago). Whoa. This is not for the non-aro smoker...
My sample was quite dry this time around and I wanted a short smoke, so I stuffed it into my Sav Churchwarden and fired up. The initial aroma was that of vanilla (duh), and marshmallows. My god, the marshmallows. I let this stuff linger in my mouth. I'd accidentally inhale it, and since I'm a super nicotine lightweight, I was off to the moon. I did feel a little nauseous but, I slowed down and forced myself to exhale after each puff. I swam in the flavors that switched between hazelnut and toffee to almond and caramel, with the marshmallows always there. I wanted to eat the smoke, it was so good. What a treat.
The room note,as my wife puts it, is like toasted marshmallows, but without the campfire smokiness.
This paired excellently with the white russian I was drinking, and it will be my morning smoke on weekends with a cup of strong coffee.
I highly recommend this blend to any aromatic who doesn't shy away from cased tobaccos. This by no means heavily cased, but I can see where some might find it too sweet. It would do well as an apertif, if you will, or with some coffee after dinner.
Thanks.
-Jason

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Villiger's 1888 Mid Day and a White Russian, sounds like an excellent Winter combination.
Oh... longing for Winter....
Thanks for the review, (pardon the pun) short, sweet, and to the point.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I just picked up a 50G tin of 1888 Late Night. I'm no good at describing the nuances of a given tobacco (yet) but I have to say, it's delightful smoke. It's fairly moist, keeps a light very well, and has a good, English taste to it. It really is an excellent late night smoke.

And now I may just have to pick up a tin of the Mid Day, too.

Cheers

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Thanks for the review Lordnoble!
This sounds like one I will have to try. I was at a B&M a couple of weeks ago and they had all 3 of the Villager 1888 blends. I was torn on which one to buy, but I ended up choosing the Early Day.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Yeah I HAVE to pick up a tin of Mid Day. I bought Late Night thinking that it was the sample I received but, because the new guy behind the counter didn't know what I was given, he counted the inventory and came to the conclusion that it must be Late Night. I couldn't figure out why, until last night as I was falling asleep, I had one of those "bolt-up-in-bed" moments where I realized that the employee that gave me the sample, had gotten his tin as a sample from the Stokkebye rep. Anyway, I'm going to try the Late Night very soon, and will give my thoughts on it once I do. Thanks.
-Jason
By the way, pstlpkr... I doubt very much that I'll be drinking ANYTHING this winter while I'm smoking. It'd probably freeze to my lips...

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I just picked up a tin of each of the three 1888 blends. I'm looking forward to trying them out. Heck if there are good thats awesome because they are only 5 bucks a pop on smokeingpipes.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I am thinking of doing the same surfmac211 since I am low on tobacco. Though I am wondering how much the shipping and handling is through them? It won't tell me upfront I was wondering if you knew?

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
7.01 for 3 day select and or like 6.57 for standard flat rate. I figured I spend the extra .50 cents to have it Saturday. I made a big purchase though so I got free shipping. I only know that because I had to pick up a couple things last week. You have to spend atleast 15 bucks now so if you get all three tins it should be right around 23 or 24 buck total.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Bump Bump. Just kidding.
I accidentally grabbed the wrong bag on the way out the door this morning, and found $20 in it, so I'm gonna stop by the smoke shop on the way home and pick this blend up. (I think I have a problem...)
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.